Overweight Newbie Gear Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I age I don’t fit into standard wetsuit sizes comfortably anymore, I quit trying and just went custom. I bought from 7till8.

Welcome to the world of nothing fits right, if it's wide enough it's too long, if it's long enough it's too tight, no one cares for us + sized people in this modern world it seems. I'm 6'2" and 270 and living the struggle just like the rest of us bigger happier people.
Anyhow, as mentioned earlier, Bare is about the best option for wetsuit for bigger build persons, I've had Henderson, Mares, Pinnacle in 3 - 5mm but the Bare range seems to fit the best.
Backplate and wing is the best adjustable option for BCD, however I have the Mares Pure and before that had the Mares Dragon, they are wonderful for large frame people. Difference I found that had me change over is the Pure has less of a jacket profile that I personally preferred over the Dragon, if you can get one to test dive do so think you'll like it.
You are being redirected...

I am fixing to purchase a Hydros Pro. Glad to hear you are happy with it.

I am 240 lbs and 6’7”, so a little different. Henderson is what I dive wet, they make a good range of sizes and are very stretchy. I also use the Nighthawk and really like it. Air consumption for a big guy tends to be... big. I am still a bit of an air hog and with the AL80 be the first out. Good cardio conditioning and experience will help, but you may never be in the same category as the air sipping waif. I compensate with steel 120s. They are great if you are big enough to handle them...

I throw in my 2 psi. I'm a big guy, built with a big thick frame like an NFL lineman. I'm 6'4", currently about 350 and I have a really long torso. My rec BC is a 2X hydros pro and it's the best fitting BC I've every owned. It dives great and packs small for travel. I can fit the BC a reg set, my mask and my computer all in the backpack that comes with the hydros. You can also strap your fins to it and you're all set for travel. When I dive wet I have a 4X lavacore long sleeve top, a 6X 5mil henderson full wetsuit (Fits a little too big) and a 5X henderson 7mil full wetsuit (Fits perfect). When I dive dry I have a 4X scubapro evertec trilaminate drysuit. I also dive sidemount with an xdeep stealth tec wing and a custom harness I made. If the water is over 72F then I'm just diving shorts and probably the lavacore. Below 72 I'll choose between the 5 or 7 wet or just go dry.

View attachment 666219

This post specifically got me to join this forum. I'm currently 6'3" 320 and aside from my sinuses, my weight has been my biggest reason I've avoided getting back into diving after 15 years and 100 lbs less.

But I think I really want to go try on the Hydros Pro after seeing the similarity in our build.

Im 320lbs (145kgs) and recently purchased a Scubapro T-One basic BCD in 2XL size which is awesome as my belly is my issue (according to my wife anyway!).. It is not integrated but as I carry about 14kgs, I would need a belt anyway. I carry 7 weights on my belt and 2 in the BCD pocket. Get one that fits and is comfortable. You dont need the best of everything when your first starting out. Basic will do.

Hope it helps.

Cheers
Tony

I use Pinnacle Cruisers both 3mm and 7mm. Good fit and the size charts are pretty accurate. Not a very big guy but have wide shoulders and short legs. Tough to find a suit that fits the upper body but isn’t too long in the legs. The Pinnacle Cruiser in the XL Short fit perfect/

I’m just starting this new hobby and would love some advice for other divers who are overweight.

I’m currently 300 pounds and concerned about ability to rent equipment that will fit me. Especially since some of my diving will be done in remote areas of Asia and Latam. Given that I was wondering the following:

1) any reco on wetsuit manufacturers that fit our size. Most seem to tap out at high 200s. I did see that the Pinnacle Cruiser suits had King versions which seemed like they would be a good fit. Anyone have experience with those suits or could recommend another?

2) besides wetsuit, mask, fins, what other equipment would you recommend. From what I could read BCDs might be something because size might not be available everywhere plus the ability to be more planned and ready with weight placements. But I’m just not sure. And when I do the reading, many recommend the backplate. Thoughts/recos on BCDs or any other equipment I should consider buying

3) lastly, during my first lake dive, I noticed two things: 1) used up a lot of air quickly. I attributed it to nerves cause the lake was dark and this was a mew hobby. But I have been reading that overweight people use air faster. Is that a true statement and if so, any tips on how to improve or gear reco. Secondly, it was hard to dial in how much and where to place weights. I think my dive master was not as familiar with working with people my seize and I think I created a new challenge for him. Any advice here.

Thanks in advance for any advice/thoughts.

Rudy

HI Rudy, Welcome to the Wonderful World of SCUBA !

1-Consider purchasing a Backplate/Wing...The benefits of this system is that the BCD Fits all as the harness is a one piece looped webbing that is specific to the diver. A BP/W is truly a one size fits all. Find a dive shop(s) that sell BOTH Conventional BCD's AND Backplate/Wing systems that will allow you to try out the gear before purchase. (Keep in mind some shops can be biased toward the inventory they carry and have in stock) Also, by owning your own gear, you will be able to be more familiar and comfortable with your kit which in turn helps with improving your diving skills.

2-The other benefit is that the weight of the backplate is aligned along the plane of your back. Trim and Buoyancy are excellent as the backplate weight is aligned and evenly distributed along the plane of your back. For extra weight, just add some pockets to the waist strap. The other benefit of BP/W is should you need to adjust the size of your BCD it is only a matter of adjusting the harness/webbing. Plus, the parts of a BP/W , Harness, Wing, C-clips, added pockets, etc....are easily changed and adapted to your individual needs.

3-OK...Give yourself a break and know that starting off with Newbie Nerves is truly understandable. We ALL had to start somewhere and MANY MANY MANY divers start off with some anxiety. Actually, there are MANY experienced divers that continue with Anxiety...however, dealing with it can actually be one of the positive things about SCUBA. In taking the time to confront the issue and finding the solution to the problem is very rewarding. The result is that in doing so, the acquired skill is rolled over to other situations in life. Now, the issue you have presented is using up air quickly. Yes, this is very common...especially when just starting out.

There are so many reasons why people use up air quickly.....HOWEVER....being overweight is not necessarily one of them. Most importantly...
-Get your buoyancy under control....This will take time and practice. Getting your gear set up, improving breathing, comfort level and other diving skills will help you get to mastering buoyancy
-Using up Air.....Again, being overweight is not necessarily the reason divers use up air....There are MANY overweight/larger divers who can beat the air tanks off of teenie tiny folks. I will tell you, when I started out I had an even more "Fluffier" makeup ...I even had this DORK Diver on a boat mention to me that he thought I probably used up alot of air because I was a larger lady...I just smiled and said that he was not to worry about me. Well...he found out about my air consumption after he had to surface due to low on air and then wait for me 30 more minutes to join him topside....I continue to today with 70-90 min dives and usually not much less than 1000 PSI.

So, how to make the most of using air ? Hubby Buddy and I started diving with a Cozumel Divemaste named Pedro Pablo Pech 20 + years ago. This gentleman now has well over 15,000+ dives and continues to be the Master to Divemasters to many divers. We listened and learned and improved our skills with his guidance. One thing he taught us was to take things "Very Very Slow". Breathing...IN Slowly...OUT Slowly....Movements, Kicking, Looking around...Keep it SLOW....Allow your body to adapt to the current and work on conditioning your body to RELAX..Work on keeping your arms still and your kicking slow and purposeful. Add to this all of the above points about gear and buoyancy and you can improve your air use...It will take time...be patient. Oh....and Watch the Fish and Coral....you can learn alot from just observing their behaviour and how they handle current and navigating in their habitat. :)

As far as finding the perfect weight distribution this too will take time. As you gain experience and skill you may find you can shed lead. One way to find out what weight you need is to do a buoyancy check.

How to Perform a Scuba Buoyancy Check

1. Enter the water (fully geared up) with your BCD fully inflated with the regulator in your mouth.
  2. Once you are comfortable, breathe in and hold a normal breath.
  3. While you hold your breath, slowly let all of the air out of your BCD.
  4. If you are correctly weighted, you should float upright and at eye level with the water.
Add or remove weight a little at a time to find the proper amount needed.

Best Wishes to you as you start your SCUBA journey. Happy and Safe Diving !
Double S

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom