Overhead on a liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes I did along time ago. It can be a nightmare, also what kinda boat,location,food availability & type,permits,payoffs,marketing,wheather patterns,help,how do I geat a $20 part from here to GOD only knows where I am at!!!!!!!!!!!! And he does not care about your problem to keep your guests happy.But these folks will KILL you online when you do not have a $2.00 fuse which destroys their 1 week in heaven and it is and always will be your fault.You should have had spare fuse and yes a new hull sitting on the island just in case, and yes it is your fault when it rains or the wheather turns to sh//t why did you not tell them a year ago when they booked in the worst part of the year ??? Because you lost 1 mil over the last three years and you got educated and where in dry dock fixing that $2.00 fuse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

I'm not 100% sure, but I think domino is against the idea.

We ran our own sail/dive charter from our 43' Hunter sailboat in the Bahamas for approx 2 years.

Unforunately, a lot of domino says it true. But there are always plusses like:

- anchoring in a quiet isolated spot far away from it all. Listening to the gentle lap of the waves against the hull while you sit in the cockpit sipping a cuppa. The light from the night sky is so bright you can read.

- pristine dive sites where no one goes. And the 'cudas follow you around like inquisitive puppies with far too many teeth.

- water so many shades of blue that you cannot name them all. Cottony soft white sand you sink up to your ankles in.

But then...

- the refrigeration goes out while the guests are on board, even though it was thoroghly checked out the prior week.

- the guests have a tiff & don't want to talk to each other. At all.

- someone's housing floods, trashing their $3K video camera. And it's EVERYONE'S fault.

Good & bad.

We'll go back to the sailboat, but NOT as a charter!

~SubMariner~

Yeah, I had a feeling I'd get a few nightmare stories. My brother in law ran a charter fishing boat out of Montauk for quite a few years (close to 30, I think). His trips generally weren't longer than 3 or 4 days and he retired at 55 from the money he saved. But, he told me that running a boat now is so difficult to be profitable because of lack of big$ fish, insurance costs etc. I was wondering if the same were true of diving ops.

Many years ago a family friend bought (and has subsequently sold) a liveaboard and he made a ton of $. If memory serves me right I believe it was an Agressor franchise. Although, he did not operate the boat, he lived in New Jersey.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom