Overbalanced first stage with atomic ss1?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drea13

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,

Is an overbalanced first stage like the aqualung legend safe to use with an unbalanced second like the atomic SS1?

Yeah, I don't see why not either. I have seen quite a few of such a combo. If you are using SS1, you aren't going too deep, the over balanced "feature" isn't doing to make any difference or damage

Great. I’m at rec depths now, but would like to get my deep and wreck at some point, with the wrecks near me at about 130’ would that be too much?

Also as an aside, trying to understand more how things work, when you say an increase 1.5 per 10 m, you mean the intermediate pressure my first stage is putting out correct? So If i understand correctly, as I go down 10 m the intermediate pressure my overbalanced first stage puts out increases 1.5psi to make it easier for me to breathe?
Do you happen to know what the ip for the aqualung legend is? I can’t seem to find it but I know the atomic is 135-145. I am assuming IP over 145 would be what causes my atomic ss1 to free flow?

Sorry for the basic questions

Great. I’m at rec depths now, but would like to get my deep and wreck at some point, with the wrecks near me at about 130’ would that be too much?

Also as an aside, trying to understand more how things work, when you say an increase 1.5 per 10 m, you mean the intermediate pressure my first stage is putting out correct? So If i understand correctly, as I go down 10 m the intermediate pressure my overbalanced first stage puts out increases 1.5psi to make it easier for me to breathe?
Do you happen to know what the ip for the aqualung legend is? I can’t seem to find it but I know the atomic is 135-145. I am assuming IP over 145 would be what causes my atomic ss1 to free flow?

It's not a design feature developed on purpose to make it easier for you to breathe at depth although is often marketed this way, I believe its an unavoidable by product of "design".

Yes, you are correct an increase by first stage of around 1.5psi per 10 meters. The 135-145 is manufacturers recommended spec on first stage setting. Apeks for example recommend 135-145psi on their first stages, they are well aware of the over balancing, balanced second stages can handle it within reason. Honestly I wouldn't worry about it, although once did myself, you're fine.

I don't know if the1.5psi per 10m is an official disclosed spec by manufacturer. And the over balancing will NOT make your breather easier at all if you have a balanced 2nd stage. It is not a by design feature but a side effect.

Remember, you won’t or at least shouldn’t be tech diving with an integrated Octo/inflator.

Is the SSI deep diver which certifies to 130’ considered tech diving?

Those who do these dives, If they have an integrated air source/inflator, do they just switch out hoses depending on what they dive?

If that’s the case wonder if I should just get a standard legend octo.... but I really appreciate the streamlining of the combo not to mention one less hose for travel..... decisions, decisions.....

So those who do these dives, If they have an integrated air source/inflator, do they just switch out hoses depending on what they dive?

If that’s the case wonder if I should just get a standard legend octo.... but I really appreciate the streamlining of the combo not to mention one less hose for travel..... decisions, decisions.....

I'd sell the SS1 and
get a matching back up, then you're set for all current and future diving. That one hose doesn't make a whole lot of difference to "streamlining" unless you're a Sail fish.

Back
Top Bottom