overactive gag reflex

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd like to thank u'all for your help and suggestions. Unfortunately I still haven't completed my first pool session, but I was finally able to get over that gag problem. A got myself a regulator and replaced the mouthpiece with the small soft bite kind, and that seemed to do the trick. I dived in the pool today til I ran out of air,it was awesome! I'm now able to clear a partially flooded mask, something I spent all day yesterday trying to get right. What I'm currently working on now is breathing underwater with no mask. For some odd reason I keep getting water up my nose. Ouch, any tips?

Originally posted by bunny
... For some odd reason I keep getting water up my nose. Ouch, any tips?

I just can't help myself....

Don't Breath through your nose ......Sorry

I had a similar problem, I got over it by breathing in my mouth and out through my nose.

I've read that the other thing that can cause this is the shock of the water on the face. That you can help by dunking your face in the water before you start your dive. This is a good cold water tip.

I had trouble with breathing with out my mask too.

I found out (with the help of a friendly Dive Master) that if you keep your chin down and head to the side so the bubbles from your regulator don't go up your nose it helps alot. Good Luck

Chad

This is the real deal Holyfield!

This topic was discussed some time back in this forum. It is a medical fact that women are nasal breathers and men are oral breathers.

This is something that you will have to make a conscious
effort to overcome.

ID

ID,

Are trying to make a statement about my sexuality?

Maybe that just means I am more in touch with my femine side.

Now I am off to the Women's Only Section, they understand me there.

Chad

Originally posted by Tom Vyles
Considering how far back in the mouth the seacure sits I would think it would make the relex worse not improve it.

Just my two bits.

Tom

If you read the directions for the Sea-Cure, it can be trimmed so that it is not to far back in your mouth.I love mine. I used to bite into mouthpeices on rental gear. I don't know if it was improper length hoses or what. Now I have a sea-cure on my own reg. I put it in my mouth and forget it.

Tavi

Don't know if I can offer any more advice..I use a "comfo-bite" on my reg. Has the little extra "retainer" thing that holds keeps it more secure, and is much more comfortable.

Just wanted to say hi and belated welcome from one Bunny to another!

*see...we are just hopping up all over the place!* :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom