Over weight charges/Champion Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geojo01

Reaction score
MLT Worry free vacation??? Champion Air is the Charter from DFW to CZM. Last July 7 Our Travel group was told that only 50 lbs per bag, or pay the $25.00 each way! A lot of people were hit with this charge. International Carriers allow 75 lbs. No one could tell us why or justfy the 50 lbs rule. Pay up or don't go! What a choice. Maybe look for a new bookings. It make no sense because if you break down to the 50 lbs. into another carry bag the weight still goes on the airplane! So much for "Hot Deals".

when I book for Dive travel I always double check the policy of overweight luggage, becuase not only is the policy different from airline to airline....sometimes they change their policy based on time of year and expected volume of travlers.

double check...never hurts....keeps you from being surprised.

geojo01:
MLT Worry free vacation??? Champion Air is the Charter from DFW to CZM. Last July 7 Our Travel group was told that only 50 lbs per bag, or pay the $25.00 each way! A lot of people were hit with this charge. International Carriers allow 75 lbs. No one could tell us why or justfy the 50 lbs rule. Pay up or don't go! What a choice. Maybe look for a new bookings. It make no sense because if you break down to the 50 lbs. into another carry bag the weight still goes on the airplane! So much for "Hot Deals".

Ryan International is another charter that flies out of DFW, depending on who you book your trips through. We used Ryan in April, and my wife and daughter used them again in June, and they never even checked our weight. I promise we were over weight in April, with all our scuba gear, but they never blinked an eye. You might ask your travel agent about using them next time.

I believe the 50 lb limit is a baggage handling issue rather than a plane load issue. We flew Ryan out of Austin last month. I had 2 bags, one a little over 20 lb and one just under 50. They cautioned me not to pack any more in the larger bag for the trip home.

In June I got hit with a $50 fee for a bag that was over the 50lb mark. I was flying home from New Orleans into John Wayne (Santa Ana) on American. (I was bringing home frozen meat and seafood in a cooler. :eyebrow: I am a cajun and to make a good gumbo, you've got to have the right ingredients.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom