Over Under Lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a Canon EOS-10D with an Ike housing, 8" port, and 2 DS-125s.

I primarily use a wide angle telephoto. I like being able to do macro and wide angle on the same dive, but I have to use a diopter to get the lens to focus under water.

I'm looking to possibly get another fixed lens, primarily for over/under shots.

What would be the ideal focal length for this lens?

Any reason, why you recommend zoom instead of fixed wide angle?

The Canon and Sigma will just barely fit the Ike ports, but are too wide to attach the zoom clamps.

Sorry, wasn't aware that you couldn't fit them in your housing. Unfortunatelly there are few really wide primes available for cropped sensors. The widest rectilinear prime is the 14 mm Sigma (perhaps there's a Canon-make too?) which wasn't originally designed for cropped digital, but work. They'll give you a 85-90° FoV on your Canon. That could be an option. Then there are the Sigma and Canon 15 mm FE primes which would be a bit wider, fixed alternatives (ca 120° FoV) if you don't mind fisheye (personally I like it a lot for UW-use). But then the Tokina 10-17 would give you more flexibility and a 'proper' 180° FoV on the wide end. I haven't personally used that lens (I'm a Nikon-shooter and use the 10.5 for fisheye) but it has gotten raving reviews from many, pro's included.

/christian

on the other hand, just because I can't zoom it in the housing doesn't mean it won't work

Very true. A lot of photographers just set the zoom to desired focal length. Some think it even helps them as you then tend to focus on one type of images instead of 'hunting' all sorts of motives during a dive. You still get the flexibilty of being able to switch between different FoV:s on different dives.

/christian

Over/Under shots are VERY difficult to pull off.

IMO go with the 12~24mm Tokina. Great lens. There is no reason that one has to use a fisheye to do over/under, but it does make it easier if you have a very wide field of view.

The 12~24mm give one a 61~99 degree field of view, can be used quite nicely as a WA UW lens and topside lens, and should works fine with the IKE dome port, and zoom ring. I use this lens with that setup in a Nikon Flavor, and on great VIS days, it's an awesome lens. Very useful topside as well which is one thing the fisheye zooms are NOT so useful for.

The Canon 10-22 fits just fine in my Ike 8" port and I can use the zoom ring with no problems. Here is an example of an over/under with the 10-22. This is taken in fresh water where the viz is good but not great. You should have much better luck in warm water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom