Outflow pipes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trigger-F

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

Has anyone diving at Pompano Beach noticed a distinct green/brown type of water that sometimes shows up on the surface? I was shore diving on Saturday and ended up across from the Pier where the sewage pipe is. The area has a ditch with broken boulders and a pipe running East (I assume that's a sewage/outflow pipe).

I have not ventured past 35-38 feet of depth following that pipe, so I am wondering whether the water I encountered on the surface on my way back (half way between the Pier and the ditch area) has to do with the above and is not runoff from the intracoastal (which is what I thought so far)? If it is, that explains all the diseases affecting many stony corals. According to the link below, 2 such outflow pipes have become inactive in Palm Beach county, however, I'm not sure about the one across from Pompano Pier?

South Florida dumps partially treated human waste offshore, but it's cleaning up its act

Thanks

I'm a little south of you at LBTS and was told that some time that's from the Okeechobee drainage.....but it's a good question.

Last edited:
I went through a green cloud/plume of water (if I may call it that) on the surface, on the way back to the shore and my gauge showed 90F temp! I could not see my hand, however, if i dropped down a few feet the water was clear and cool. Both are bad, the lake and outflow sewage pipe discharges. The state needs to find a solution to these issues.

i just saw on the local news that there has been an outflow pipe leaking in Miami and they are just getting around to fixing it now...shame shame.

Florida Reef Rescue monitors outflow pipes. They have some gnarly pictures of green spew coming out of pipes. I'm not sure if the group is active anymore, though. They've been real quiet for about a year.

Reef Rescue

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom