Out of water shark experiences anyone????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaguy62

Son of Yemaya
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
So I decided to try out my new rod and reel at the Pompano Beach fishing pier last Saturday night. Got a few good hits and hooked a couple of juvenile grunts, but threw them back. What was interesting was to see a guy casting a long rod with a live 8 to 10 inch Permit on the hook (one of these http://indian-river.fl.us/fishing/fish/pompperm.html ), only to later reel in a 4' bull shark. Talk about a pier clearing event...people looked like the grease in the Dawn dishwashing commercials.

Anyone else has experienced something like this? Share it!

Many years ago I used to fish specifically for shark. I had a 15' boat that was mostly open and about 6' wide... just the first 3' of the bow was covered with a bench seat that was built in (it was a 1960 Thunderbird). The remaining portion was basically 7x6 open area. Anyway, there were several occaisions my own stupidity and lack of patience put a shark between me and where one would drive that boat.

Before anyone goes crazy, this was over a decade ago before finning and other wasteful tactics were known about and when it wasn't an uncommon to see shark steaks in fish houses or resturant menus.

Shark fishing is my favorite down here in Cali. Mako and Thresher, yeah baby!!

Kyle

I can't speak for most fisherman here in Cali, but I will only keep 1 or 2 big ones per year. This past summer I was fortunate enough to harvest 250 pounds of Mako (2 Sharks) and 330 pounds of Thresher (One shark) I have a nice big freezer in the garage.

Both Makos taken this year were from speargun. The Thresher was mouth hooked during slow troll.

My family eats shark once or twice a week.

Kyle

My catches were always eaten. Primarily it was blacktip shark with the occaisional lemon. Also, due to the size of my boat, it 4-7' sharks were my size range, fat females thrown back. :)

Hey, as long as you guys do it for food and not for gore, I say great. Better then buying from fishermen that will kill a whole bunch of other stuff in the process with their stupid nets.

How do they taste?

Chebby:
How do they taste?
I've never caught one, but did have shark steak on a flight from LA to Miami (1st class baby...), and in all honesty, "it tastes like chicken."

I used to cook my shark steaks over Cypress & Hickory chips and sprinkled on Everglades seasoning on the meat before placing on the grill. It is a light white flakey meat thats sweet. I laid off of it due to the high levels of mercury found in sharks around the FL Gulf coast.

After looking for the Sixgill again today, when I got out, I found a big harbor seal laying up against the rocks. Poor guy. I guessed it was a shark attack since that's one of their only predators.

You can see a wound but it's hard to tell what did it or how old the wound is but I didn't exactly want to do an autopsy. A bit of a strange find though. So naturally I took a couple photos.

Oh, and I caught a fantastic 7 foot sailfish in Puerto Vallarta a couple of years back and I was glad it wasn't a shark!

DeepDog :cheers:

Back
Top Bottom