Out of air!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have over 100 dives with a Luxfer 40 cuft pony never felt the need to compensate by changing my weights as the difference is negligible, although this may be due to the fact I dive with a drysuit and underwear with 16lbs to 20lbs of weight and a steel HP 100. The only problem I have is resisting the temptation to use it as a dive extender ;-}

Im gonna jump on the dogpile here as a pony diver and say never remove the wieght when you add the bottle. At most if it blows your trim you shift some.

Having to go to the buddy bottle should be nerve wracking enough, to add an escalating bouyant ascent to the situation is asking for all sorts of trouble.

Put some air into your BCD before you come up and let it gently lift you up -
This is also contrary to what I have learned. Use your fins and not the elevator button to go up...

Yea, i dont think anyone did a buddy chek on the MD, so he might been diving with half a tank, thats one thing that could lead to a no air situation afer 15 min, and the vis. wasn't that good for anyone to see the 'leak' mixed with his bubbels.

I totally question this also, some regs bleed and usually the person with this type of reg gets a signal about a leak. This DM should have heard the leak! Nice story though. And ya when adding a pony bottle that you may hand off it's not a good to be underweighted, get some professional guidance with life saving gear please.

Yea like i said, maby he had only half a tank of air...., maby his gauge was reading wrong ....., dont know what the problem was, no one did a buddy chek with him.....
The vis. wanst great, it was like 3-4 m i think, and to see a leak from his tank was not easy for there were other divers infront of me so one couldnt see his leak through their bubbels, that should be the first diver behind him that should of seen the leak.... but the vis. was not good at all, so one can't blame him for not seeing the leak.
Why he didnt hear it, i dont know, maby he wasn't paying attention to his surrounding air bubbels, or leak.

And i agree with u in removing weight when adding a pony is not good.... it makes sens.

Later

Im gonna jump on the dogpile here as a pony diver and say never remove the wieght when you add the bottle. At most if it blows your trim you shift some.

Having to go to the buddy bottle should be nerve wracking enough, to add an escalating bouyant ascent to the situation is asking for all sorts of trouble.

This is also contrary to what I have learned. Use your fins and not the elevator button to go up...

Most pony bottles weigh in the water .75lbs to a max of around 2lbs I dive with a 40cuft Luxfer -2Lbs when full did not bother adjusting my weight for the above posted reasons after a few dives I did not even notice I had it with me.

hollandj,

Changing the subject a bit, as I may be in Tel Aviv... how was the beach dive, meaning the coral, vis... Did you dive Ceseare? I always wanted to dive the underwater museum.
Beach diving in TA is not much compared to the Eilat, and even the beach dives up north. What is good however is that it's a convenient place to dive for us living in central Israel.
There are no corals in the Med, at least not ones you would recognize. What there is in TA is a large stone reef, made of huge boulders filled with little caves and passages inside that allow for a lot of life between them.
The vis is usually medium, the best I've seen there is about 8-10m.
Still, for a casual Saturday dive it's not bad at all (having the LDS on the beach helps getting the tanks quickly and speeding the process) you can do 2 dives before noon and still make it back home. :D The spot is also perfect for diving early on a workday and then continuing to your work. (tried it 3 times this year, best days ever :D)

Here are some pics: Picasa Web Albums - Peleg - diving - gord...
(And yes, I know I suck with a camera)

couldn't you put in a Y coupling from your BC to pony and main? to avoid exhaustion, its a completely un-necessary thing but wouldnt you be happy if you needed it?
ill design one in CAD and see what happens.
-Chris

Using a Y coupling to connect two LPI hoses would also require two check valves to prevent air from the full tank bleeding back into the empty tank instead of going into the BC like it's supposed to. The IP air from the pony's regulator would flow backward via the Y connection into the empty tank's reg. It would flow through the reg and into the empty tank. This is because the first stage HP seat is open when unpressurized and won't close if the air's going through it backwards. Air wouldn't flow into the BC until the pressure in the empty tank equals the IP of the pony's regulator.

This solution is doable but IMHO not practical.

hey arizona, cyber goast just replyed on your question, thanks dude :).

diving in ta is good, that is it u dont expect to see a lot, there are some nice schools of fish and other creatures to see, and the rock reef to explore.

for me it is not what i can see, but what i can experience and learn for now.

some nice pix u have of gordon reef

later

Last edited:
My son (14) and I just got back from some dives in the Dominican Republic. The last dive was going to be an 'easy' dive, 7m (20') reef dive with another diver and his step son who had a 20 min pool session before the reef dive. After a nice 40 min dive at 700psi we started topside when at about 10-12 feet my son (Adv OW, +25 dives) popped up in front of me with the out of air sign, grabbed my octo and my harness so we could safely surface. His gauges read 0 psi.

Once we got back in the boat 500 psi reappeared on his gauges. You just never know when its going to happen.

BTW, us cold water quarry divers from the U.S.A. were nicely buttoned up, and the DM was dragging his gauge set across the bottom and the reef. And they give us tourists grief!!

I have been on more than one boat in the Caribbean where the DM didn't change tanks between dives "cause of his great SAC rate" so one question for the OP did the DM even go in with a full tank. Maybe he over extended himself a little more than usual?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom