Out of Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

viajerochevere:
noob question: what does "shot my bag " mean?

Send up a surface marker buoy(SMB) or lift bag.

With quick draw incidents, it has a different meaning.

i wanted to suck the bottom out of a tank of air at around 10ft after my safety stop but was told by everyone that if i did that the tank would have to be vis'd if the pressure went all the way to 0 PSI.

how do i get around that?

is that to give you a reference line for your ascent?

Why do you want to do that? There really isn't a way around it that insures water hasn't been introduced into the tank.

A few reasons:
A reference line is one reason. Another is to mark your position for surface support or boat. It can also be used to indicate there is a problem or serve as a hang line.

i wanted to do it so i would know what its like. i'm thinking that the experience would help me in an actual OOA emergency.

however, maybe just closing the valve will give the same effect.

It would actually be misleading. With a balanced regulator, you won't notice anything until your tank pressure drops below the IP(Intermediate Pressure) setting of the first stage. Once that occurs, it will get progressively harder until the tank is dry. Depending on your depth, this could be several breaths or only a partial breath.

It's possible that a shop would let you take a tank out that is due for visual, but I wouldn't. If you have your own tank, you could wait until it's due and use it. I wouldn't recommend it, of course.

If you decide to do this or even simulate it by shutting down the valve while submerged, I'd suggest having a buddy close by that know what you are up to and is ready to donate air. Simple experiments have a way of blowing up.

if i can set it up i'm planning on doing it in a spring with a buddy on hand. that should minimize the risks enough.

some of the posts talk about practicing emergency scenarios. what procedures do you guys practice?

OOA, lost mask ascents and CYA skills are about it for me. This will change as I progress to technical diving.

good job of remembering your training and glad it went OK for you,
I have over 130 open water dives and am working on Dive Master,
I still don't think of myself as an "experienced diver",
I think I learn something every dive,
maybe (just maybe) I will be after I pass the 1,000 dive barrier...

It is not a good idea to simulate an OOA by sucking a tank dry. You should never run out of air, so the best thing is to practice not letting it happen. I don't know what you hope to gain by doing it.

Back
Top Bottom