Out of Air! Could you...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently had this discussion on a DIR thread, where it was being discussed that the LP inflator could be depressed at the same time as the deflator and could be used as a makeshift air source. (in the event of a reg failure rather than OOA)

I was a little dubious about the technique so went and tried it in the pool and nearly blew my head off. Maybe I have a super powered LPI, but the technique didnt seem feasable or realistic to me.

cancun mark:
I recently had this discussion on a DIR thread, where it was being discussed that the LP inflator could be depressed at the same time as the deflator and could be used as a makeshift air source. (in the event of a reg failure rather than OOA)

I was a little dubious about the technique so went and tried it in the pool and nearly blew my head off. Maybe I have a super powered LPI, but the technique didnt seem feasable or realistic to me.
mark, could you try that again, but this time invite me along to watch? :rofl:

As a part of my training I was asked to remove my regulator and then perform a controlled ascent from 30m to 10m. To my surprise there was plenty air in my lungs to do the 2 minute ascent, even while exhaling all the way up.

Now I wouldn't try such a stunt again just for the h*** of it, but as a result of the excercise I'm confident that in case of a catastrophic equipment failure a trained diver can reach the surface without expansion injury or drowning. Of course you would still have to worry about DCS ...

You're ascending quickly... and you want to *inflate* your lungs?

jonnythan:
What he said. Couldn't have phrased it better myself.

Breathing out of the BC bag used to be something that was discussed and considered much more commonly than it is today. That was in the days of J-valves, no SPG's, no octos, etc.

Many people recommended periodically rinsing the inside of the bag with an antiseptic agent to kill any potential bugs in there that could lead to a lung infection later.

Someone recommended having to estimate how much air to breathe so that you did not become too negative. That is not an issue, as you inhale from the bag into your lungs and the volume is constant. You can also exhale back into the bag as your expired air still has about 16% O2. It also contains CO2 as well, but for a short ascent to the surface CO2 buildup in the air in the BC is not as large a problem as it would be simply doing an ESA. And on the way up as you need to vent air, just exhale it into the water to avoid putting more CO2 back into the bag.

It was never intended to be anything other than an emergency procedure but it did work and would allow an esa from a much greater depth than possible on a single lung full of air (or in some cases less than a lung full of air if there is not enough air in the tank for a last full breath - pretty common with high performance regulators).

It is not practiced or discussed any more as regulators tend to be more reliable and SPG and octo use is the norm, largely negating the potential to find yourself in a situation where the only air you have is in the BC.

jonnythan:
When you attempt to breathe the diaphram moves down to give room for the air to enter your lungs. It does not force air into your lungs. That's why a snorkel wont' work below a couple of feet. If you attempt to breathe while you ascend it won't fill unless the air is pressurized. Attempting to breathe just keeps the airway open and will allow air to escape just fine. Attempting to breathe doesn't force air into your lungs. It just allows air in, or out if the pressure outside is lower. If you are trying to breathe as you ascend the air will take care of itself as long as you don't close the airway.

DA Aquamaster:
That was in the days of J-valves, no SPG's, no octos, etc.

No SPG's ???? How on earth did you know how much gas you had left ? (I think I took up diving at the right time) lol

One day I am going to research back in time to see how gear has changed over the years. There went as many divers then as there are now. I wonder what the accident and fatality rate was 30 yrs ago. Interesting research.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom