Our custom built Dive Trailer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mdkpsk

Registered
Reaction score
Hello All,
I didn't know where to post so I thought General Scuba would be the best place to post this thread.
If some of you remember I posed a question about hauling tanks. Thanks for all your input it really helped in the design of the final product. Another Scubaboard Member (Crazy Uncle) and I bought a trailer in Michigan. If we picked it up it would be a lot cheaper, so we did. We drove from Florence Ky. to just across the state line at Kokomo Indiana. into Mich. When we got the empty trailer home we took our time and talked about what would be safest and easiest to build as far as hauling tanks. It took about 5 months to finish it working on it at our leisure. We used the design and build method instead of the other way around. I really enjoyed building it with Crazy Uncle. I put the drill in my thumb only once and he cut himself trimming the checkered tiles with a knife. Not a bad safety record. We laughed a lot during construction. The Pictures don't do it justice but some of you asked to see the final product. Ta Dah, here it is.
Any comments about design changes good or bad will help us with the next one we build.
I didn't realize we owned so much gear. We already need to build a bigger one.

Attachments

• IMG_0211.jpg
    IMG_0211.jpg
    428.4 KB · Views: 1,596
  • IMG_0179.jpg
    IMG_0179.jpg
    399.3 KB · Views: 1,025
  • IMG_0205.jpg
    IMG_0205.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 1,063
  • IMG_0206.jpg
    IMG_0206.jpg
    398.1 KB · Views: 932
  • IMG_0213.jpg
    IMG_0213.jpg
    403.8 KB · Views: 887
  • IMG_0218.jpg
    IMG_0218.jpg
    414.7 KB · Views: 923
We have the ability to haul 8 horizontal and 8 vertical tanks securely. The front is a work bench for gear. The floor is Herculiner going 7 inches up the wall so cleaning it out requires only a hose. Inside each tank box are welded 1/2 inch square stock squares that are bolted to the floor and the walls for rigidity and strength for obvious reasons. Not to shabby for our first one.

Projects are fun, but using them is better isn't it? You should be proud of yourselves.

Nice job.... thanks for sharing it here.

one of these days, I'd like to do something like that.

are those the walls that came in it, or did you bolt on plywood walls?

how big is the trailer (6x12?) and what weight axel? (3500 lb ?)

Any comments about design changes good or bad will help us with the next one we build.

I saw one trailer (I think on here) that had a de-humidifier (like you'd have at home in your basement) mounted in the trailer, with a hose running out of it through the floor to drain. Since gear gets wet and is hard to dry when enclosed, he runs this when he gets home by just plugging in "shore power" via an extension cord to the trailers 110v outlet system he put in.

just an idea as it'll cut down on mold/mildew.

The floor is Herculiner going 7 inches up the wall so cleaning it out requires only a hose.

is that one of those "roll on" or "spray on" liners like Rhino Liner? good idea.

Not to shabby for our first one.

not shabby at all. impressive.

The floor can rolled or sprayed on. We decided because of the size it would be better if we rolled it on. One heck of a mess to clean if you use a sprayer just once. It's made by Herculiner. The same one they spray on at the truck accessory shops. The size is 6X12 with a 2000 lb. load capacity. The trailer weighs close to 1000 lbs.

We thought about a dehumidifier and will probably put one in before too long. I am still doing some wiring for interior lights independent from the tow vehicle power. This was our first time to use it and we are getting ideas as we go. Any more ideas are always welcome. Thanks for the complements and the feedback. The most amazing part about this project is my wife (who is a diver) gave it her official OKY DOKY.

The walls are 9/16 plywood. It came with 3/16 Luann that wouldn't hold a toilet paper roll. So down it came. Used self tappers into the Z channel. Extremely strong.

Back
Top Bottom