Our Bonaire Travelogue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Great Pillow Caper of 2017……. Days 9, 10, & 11

With just three dive days remaining, I thought it might be a good time for a bit of a recap….. Probably more a collage of ramblings than anything else.

The diving has been awesome. We’ve dove mostly the southern sites, having done a few of them multiple times (Tori’s Reef, Vista Blue, Aquarius, and Bari).

Our critter count includes:
- 2 Spotter Eagle Rays
- 2 Southern Sting Rays
- 4 or 5 octopus
- 2 Coronet Fish
- 3 or 4 Turtles
- 4 Squid
- 4 Crinoids
- An ocean Trigger Fish
- A couple of big Barracuda
- Lots of Tarpons on Bari
- Several large Cubera Snappers
- Blue Parrot Fish
- Juvenile Smooth Trump fish
- Countless Cruisers

Unfortunately, we haven’t found any frogfish or seahorses, but that’s not from a lack of trying. I’m searching on every dive and I haven’t given up yet.

Water temperatures remain at about 78-79 degrees and visibility is consistent at 60-80 feet. The deeper, the crisper.

Lots of our meals have been in-condo, especially lunch and dinner. However, we’ve eaten out some:
- Rum Runners
- Eddy’s
- Pasa Bon Pizza
- Kentucky Fried Chicken (yeah, that’s right. We need to make sure Ruth stays in business!)
- King Kong Burger Wagon (The Chicago Dog is excellent!)

We have three dive days remaining, and we plan to make the best of them.

Double L and I were on the southern side of the island the other day at the dive site Vista Blue. It’s a great dive site with very lush soft corals and, arguably, one of the easiest entries on the island. It’s pretty much all sand.

Well, every now and then, Karma sends you a message. A reminder……

Les and I were waste deep in the water, about to put on our masks, when a rogue wave come crashing through and knocked both of us on our cans. As we started to get up, another wave came through and pummeled us.

“Just crawl out,” I yelled to Double L. She had her mask held straight up and was doing her best to crawl out.

We both crawled out of the surf, stood up, and took a few breathes. We laughed a bit. How could such an easy entry be so difficult? We thought.

Well, the sea takes no prisoners, even on easy entries. We gathered our pride and walked back in. We donned our masks and fins and had a great dive.

I’m proud of Les. It would’ve been easy to give up and go to another site. And in the old days, we might’ve done just that. But we knew we could handle this place, that one set of waves wasn’t going to deter us. We would conquer.

The sea will remind you, you just have to listen.

We received some good news this afternoon, our friend Wilma’s son having finally received his Xbox play station. Apparently, it had been held up in customs for several weeks. Les and I had brought down a game cartridge (is that still the correct term?) for him and he hadn’t been able to play it yet. I was becoming distraught, thinking about us jetting out of here on Saturday and him still unable to play the game we had brought him. But, alas, as always, the stars aligned, the tide didn’t rise, and everything worked out.

I’d like to call out a big Happy Birthday to Sarah Cox (Bonaire call sign: Tadpole). Some of you might remember that her and Marc (Bonaire call sign: Romeo) were engaged at Karpata in August of 2012. Well, they now have a daughter, Willow (Bonaire call sign: Minnow). Both are great parents and we love them very much and are extremely proud of them. All are doing well and planning to return to Bonaire in March, 2018.

The other day, Leslie came out of the bedroom seeming rather distraught.

“She messed up my pillows,” she said.

“What?”

“The maid. I had my correct combination of pillows finally figured out, and she moved them when she made the bed.”

I didn’t know what to say.

Because of some back and neck issues, Double L is very particular regarding her head placement, fluffiness, and several other criteria that I don’t quite understand. Fortunately, she brought her “grounding pillow.” It’s a special, very thin pillow that actually plugs into the wall. Supposedly, the small electrical current grounds you while you sleep. She says it makes a difference for her, so I say go for it.

Me? As long as I have something under my head, I usually fall asleep somewhere between the light switch being turned off and the room going dark.

Sanddollar unit B-6 has about a dozen pillows between the two bedrooms and three beds. It took Les several nights of swapping out pillows to conjure up the right combination of pillows that met most of her criteria.

However, the maid unknowingly and innocently messed that up by making the bed. It took Les another couple of nights to get her combination straightened out.

“The maid comes today,” I happened to said.

“Thanks,” Double L said, as she scurried into the bedroom.

She came out a few minutes later smiling like a puffer fish that thinks he’s hiding.

“I hid them,” she said.

“Hid what?” I asked, having already forgotten about the pillow fiasco.

“My pillows. I put them in the closet.”

“You put your pillows in the closet?” I asked, knowing full well why, but wanting Double L to get some satisfaction out of her cleverness.

“Yeah, so when the maid makes the bed, my pillows won’t be there, so there’s no way she’ll mess them up.”

I nodded. “That’ll show her,” I said.

Dive on Friends.

Dave & Leslie.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom