Ouch! Major flood of my D300!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Gilligan. I always love your little cartoons.

Housing took a few weeks to get fixed, at the quoted cost of $780 ($450 for annual service, + new hot-shoe, circuit boards, internal wiring and leak sensor) After cleaning it up shortly after the flood, camera is working fine. Lens is working fine. Tokina makes one sturdy lens. Thankfully, I bought the housing used, so after about 3 years of good service from it, I'm still ahead $600 over what a new one would have cost. When it comes to underwater gear, though, who's counting ?$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

Housing took a few weeks to get fixed, at the quoted cost of $780 ($450 for annual service, + new hot-shoe, circuit boards, internal wiring and leak sensor) After cleaning it up shortly after the flood, camera is working fine. Lens is working fine. Tokina makes one sturdy lens. Thankfully, I bought the housing used, so after about 3 years of good service from it, I'm still ahead $600 over what a new one would have cost. When it comes to underwater gear, though, who's counting ?$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

Glad to hear you're better now :) Did Backscatter do the work ? Pacific Housing Repair ? I'm about coming up due on annual service, as well.

Now I have to carry dry ice on my trips :)
I think that tip is only useful in the first hour or so.
Bill

I have got to say.. Lucky sob :eek:
But this is why I (finally) got my new setup insured - I dont tend to be lucky with regards to such things, lol

Glad to hear you're better now :) Did Backscatter do the work ? Pacific Housing Repair ? I'm about coming up due on annual service, as well.
Backscatter did the work.
Tigerman, I used to insure my gear, but at 5% of value or whatever it is these days I figure it's probably a wash, as it's doubtful you'll ruin everything at once. In 8 years of diving with a camera every weekend, this is my first non-strobe flood. I was very lucky (so far). I've been thinking strongly of getting a back-up body. D300's can be had on E-Bay for well under $500 these days, and the S for a couple hundred more. The S will fit in my housing and function, but some controls don't line up. It would be nice to have one out of the housing for whales and stuff anyway.
Bill, didn't you mean dry RICE? I don't think freezing it will help.

My insurance actually wherent THAT horrific for the camera gear. I got away with something like .05% of the purchase price, but 10% deductible. That is for full-value replacelemt with no deduction for use though.

Glad to hear all is fixed now Larry.

Friend of mine lost his new D7100 with 105mm lens on its first dive in a Nauticam housing last weekend, one of the clamps became undone somehow underwater, not sure how that happened.

My back up D300s has stopped working (never been underwater) the data is not writing to the cards, sent to Nikon in UAE for repair, camera is two and a half years old. D300 still going well though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom