Otter Bay drysuit hoods

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rye_a

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can anyone tell me about Otter Bay drysuit hoods? I have been waiting on the new 7mm Pinnacle Merino lined hood for awhile now, and have started looking for an alternative. I recently came across some reports on Otter Bay custom hoods, and at only $70 for the 6.5mm the seem like a great bargain.

Can anyone share your experiences with these hoods with me? I worry that plain a plain 6.5mm neoprene hood might not be as warm as merino lined, but a part of me wants to believe that the better fit (and less water circulation) of a custom hood will more than make up for it.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I just purchased a 12mm Otter Bay custom Hood. It really kept me warm last Saturday. I was purposely diving my really light undergarment in 42* water because I was diving with my wife, and she still got cold before I did.

The lead time for me was about 3 weeks, and the owner-Cricket- said they ran out of the 12mm material, and that added to the wait. I got it in the mail, and tried it on. It is a little harder to get on than a 7mm DUI hood, but not very much. It also does not fold. It comes out of the box shaped like a head, and after a couple dives, is still helmet shaped. If you're looking for warmth, then I can pretty much guarantee the 12mm will be warmer than anything. Fit was great. I had no problems with "lockjaw" as some other folks mentioned, but when I measured, I was sure to take the measurement with a reg in my mouth, which made the jaw number about 3/4" larger. I got the drysuit neck, which did make my neck a little cold at spots, but not bad.

It is a great hood for $80 delivered.

Forget the Pinnacle Merino-lined products, it's a waste. Yes, it's real merino. However, it's not enough wool to actually provide insulation. Instead, it sops up cold water from the edges and transfers it into the warmer parts of your thermal protection.

The best solution is material. Stay away from extremely stretchy material, like the elastiprene that Pinnacle uses. However comfortable it really is(and it is!) the fact remains it compresses too much at depth. Neoprene insulates by providing a physical barrier between you and the cold water, thus you want as little compression as possible when looking at warmth. Wetsuits/gloves/hoods act as a physical barrier and restrict water flow. A "layer" of water between you and the neoprene is NOT the way they work! They'd work better with NO water!(note the goal of a semi-dry). Thus, find a material that is stiff and doesn't compress. I was all excited about my new Pinnacle Merino gloves and hood only to realize the hard way that it's a gimmik or at least a poorly executed concept. I went back to my old Glideskin Xcel gloves for warmth reasons.

Thanks for your replies. I dive dry in temps ranging from 40-65 degrees. At 62 degrees I am comfortable without a hood at all. Is the 12mm hood overkill considering that I plan do do some diving in Monterey in mid May and other than that I primarily dive dry in lakes in Colorado and in New Mexico?

I've never heard of anyone complaining about the Otter Bay hoods, or about being too warm in cold-water diving environments. Otter Bay really seems to make the Cadillac of hoods, and my guess is it would be well worth it and not overkill at all especially if your water temps do go down to 40 degrees.

Forget the Pinnacle Merino-lined products, it's a waste. Yes, it's real merino. However, it's not enough wool to actually provide insulation. Instead, it sops up cold water from the edges and transfers it into the warmer parts of your thermal protection.

The best solution is material. Stay away from extremely stretchy material, like the elastiprene that Pinnacle uses. However comfortable it really is(and it is!) the fact remains it compresses too much at depth. Neoprene insulates by providing a physical barrier between you and the cold water, thus you want as little compression as possible when looking at warmth. Wetsuits/gloves/hoods act as a physical barrier and restrict water flow. A "layer" of water between you and the neoprene is NOT the way they work! They'd work better with NO water!(note the goal of a semi-dry). Thus, find a material that is stiff and doesn't compress. I was all excited about my new Pinnacle Merino gloves and hood only to realize the hard way that it's a gimmik or at least a poorly executed concept. I went back to my old Glideskin Xcel gloves for warmth reasons.

I couldn't disagree with all that was said,

I too was a Merino believer, all my gear when diving wet was Merino. In fact, if they sold a gimmick that would shield my Mask with Merino I would have purchased it.

Let me tell you one thing, MERINO DOES WORK BUT ONLY IN SHALLOW DIVING, with that being said I took my Merino to Ball Buster to do my check out dives for AOW, deep diving.

All suited up in my ME7 wth hooded vest 7mm, I got cold when we reached 103 feet and the drills started.

I even had a 3mm Merino heated torso warmer on that day. To show you how compression works, at the surface I was 13 mm all Merino in the chest.

I never got cold in the chest it was in my head, arms and hands that suffered.

Have you seen how thin the 7mm hoods are with Merino? They are super thin because they say the Merino counteracts for this thinness. They do make 7mm without Merino that is way thicker than the one with it.

This dive was also my first dive of the day, watch out for deep diving in a wetsuit, compression does take it's toll, I wasn't a believer until I took mine down to depth.

Hope this helps you out.

Mike,
ps
It's an incredible suit for up to 60 feet and even shallower than that it's better.

Used 12 mm Otter Bay hood in Antarctic in - 1.5 C (ie below freezing). Worked great - made to measure, warm, comfortable and easy on and off - would highly recommend this hood for that purpose. Also have 6.5 mm which uses similar design principles and also seem to be good in more temperate waters.

I just ordered a 6.5mm from Otter Bay. I just could not find an "off the shelf" hood that fits me. Cricket was very helpful in setting up what I need to get the hood made. I also want something visible, so Cricket can put a bunch of yellow in it (I was so sad that I could not get the Flurohood I ordered to fit me correctly.) I'll let you know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom