Review OTS Guardian FFM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HowardE

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I recently started diving the OTS Guardian FFM for my working dives. Previously, I was diving the Poseidon Atmosphere FFM, and the Guardian was a pleasant change from the Atmosphere.

I got the Guardian with the Blue Silicone Skirt, and the EMA for Communications using a SSB Transducer pack for diver to diver and diver to boat communication.

First impressions: It's very comfortable, and the double seal makes sealing the mask quick and easy, compared to the harder seal on the Atmosphere. I immediately appreciated the ABV (Ambient Breathing Valve)
Abv-1-1s.jpg
which is like a snorkel attached to the mask. Waiting for a buddy, or gearing up and being ready to go is easy, and I'm not breathing my back gas for several minutes as I wait to arrive at the site. The only minor downside to the ABV is that for me, it does come into my field of view occasionally, but it's hardly noticeable, and overall a great feature.

Diving the mask was comfortable and dry, as the double seal allows me to keep the mask - not as tight as the other mask, still maintaining the seal on my face, making this mask a very dry (leak free) mask. This made the diving more comfortable all around. The nose blocks are well positioned, and easily adjustable. The Guardian also comes with a selection of nose blocks to accommodate most divers.

The breathing of the regulator was very nice, and smooth. Also, I found that the inner mouth/nose cup made a better seal on my mouth/nose area, and I had a slightly better breathing rate overall compared to the Atmosphere mask as well. I'll say that this isn't a scientific test, but I did compare my breathing over several dives with both masks.

The location of the microphone, and push to talk was easy to use, and my communications were quite easily understood on the boat, and by other divers in the water.

Lastly, the regulator has a quick release button (on the inside, so you can't release it accidentally on a dive) for easy cleaning of both the mask and the regulator. You can just pop the regulator off, and soak if you desire, while just giving the mask a quick rinse, and you're done.

Overall, my impressions of the Guardian are fantastic, the only negative thing that I found with my personal preference, is that I think the standard supply hose that comes with it is a bit too long for my tastes. While this isn't necessarily noticeable on the dive itself; on the surface, it feels a bit clunky. Subsequently, I'll be replacing that with a standard 28" regulator hose.

If you are in need of a new FFM I would strongly recommend this mask.

me-guardian.JPG

Just got back from diving mine for 10 days in Grand Turk.

I hooked it up to an Apeks dst 1st stage with IP set at 135 psi and the cracking pressure seemed pretty good without further adjustment. I didn't measure it with a magnehelic gauge but immersing the demand valve seemed to initiate a free flow when the diapragm was about 1.5 inches under water.

The first session was in a pool to try out a short list of drills that I had prepared. This was my first time with a mask of this type so it felt a little unusual at first but even so was easy to use.

The only con I found was that when clearing a flooded mask I had to press the purge and lift the bottom of the skirt to evacuate water because the exhaust valve did not work well to drain water when the purge was pressed. Blowing out manually worked fine to clear out small amounts of water remaining in the nose mouth pocket but it seems to me that a mask of this type should be able to be cleared by pressing the purge and draining through the exhaust like a "normal" second stage??

I did not regard this as a major issue and frankly being able to doff and don the FFM underwater is not as important (IMO) as being able to simply remove he FFM and recover an alternative second stage and mask. This of course is a basic skill and if there was ever a significant problem with the FFM I would perform this drill and then continue or abort the dive on conventional gear.

Due to house renovation work I couldn't dive every day but still managed 12 dives on the Guardian. Typical first dive on any day was to about 100 or so feet and second about 70.

At no time did I feel uncomfortable using the FFM or feel inclined to return to my other mask/ reg.

Comments:
Seal- it seals very very well, dryer in fact than any mask I have ever used before and ingress of water was never an issue.
Comfort- Very comfortable indeed, no pinching and the straps really didn't to be at all tight for an excellent seal.
Noise- My wife (buddy) states should could clearly hear the inhalation cycle and it does seem to have a noticeable "whoosh" but the fish didn't mind and I really didn't notice it either.
Bubbles- The exhaust bubbles were deflected well out to the side and didn't interfere with my view of constantly rush past my ear ( I hate that!)
WOB- this is purely subjective but I found the work of breathing better than I expected. There is not as much venturi action as some of the top line easy breathing regs but the mask supplied all the gas I needed in a very civilized manner and inspired confidence. I found I typically breathed in through both my mouth and nose at the same time- this was pleasant and comfortable.
However I did have an on-going issue with stuttering which I attribute to my slow and prolonged breathing cycle and a tendency to relax my lips- my lips would partially close and the reg would stutter! Annoying at times but not a major issue!
Equalizing- I experimented with several of the supplied nose blocks to find a suitable combination but in the end it was a change of equalizing technique that worked best for me- when I push the nose block up against my nostrils the seal is not perfect but I then apply a shorter sharper "blow" to my eustachian tubes using the back of my oropharynx. Once I found a way to make it work it became easy and was never an issue during any dive.
Cleaning- the mask rinses well and the diaphragm unit at the end of the second stage unscrews to allow good rinsing the diaphragm assembly and the demand valve.
Fogging- never happened once- excellent!
ABV- works well and is quite splash resistant, does not allow water to enter easily while on the surface if you need to take a peek below or get hit by small wave.
Photography- I never noticed any difference in using the FFM as opposed to using a normal dive mask.
FOV- very good, in particular the downward view was better than average.

Overall- I regard the Guardian as viable alternative to a conventional reg /mask for all my diving. There is a slight niggle regarding clearing using the purge but otherwise I intend to use it at every opportunity from now one.
I have no intention at this point of installing the comms system- but who knows??!
Cheers
RR

I just dove my OTS over the weekend for a total of 5 dives. I don't think I could ever go back to a regulator again. I have mine hooked up to a quick disconnect hose that attaches to a gas switching block that runs back to my 1rst stage and to a 6cu pony and it worked flawlessly.

My Guardian FFM arrived this week, and I did a pool session lastnight. I concur with everything that said above pretty much.

The mask fits better than any other FFM I've used. OTS got it right with the double seal.

I do wish the purge on 2nd stage with a bit stronger when trying to clear the mask. You can push all you want, but it's not a conventional purge. Very little air is present.

The mask is super light weight. I was diving an EXO-26. My neck was always a bit sore after diving that monster.

OTS scores big with there standard ABV included aswell, and with there equalization system. The adjustable piece does the job, and the adjustable inserts rock.

I'm getting one

My husband and I ordered ours last week and are anxiously awaiting them. We were able to try one out at the LDS and really liked the feel and the ease of breathing. We also splurged and got the buddy phones. Some of the other divers we will be diving with also have the Guardian with the comm system.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

I've got about 5-6 dives on mine and love it!! Had some experience with the AGA's but prefer the guardian much better. Very sturdy and just feels solid

Just purchased mine from Diver City in Land o' Lakes, FL and awaiting it anxiously. Kyle, the owner, was very knowledgeable and has dove this mask tool. I'm looking forward to using it on my next dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom