OT: Nassau, where to stay for one night?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rexman24:
I wouldnt call minimum 175 a nite resonably priced lodging, which is what the OP asked for.

I guess the definition of "reasonable" varies, both by location and time and by the person speaking. Compared with, say, Atlantis it's eminently reasonable. There are also other costs to consider. Transport is one - being picked up and dropped off at the airport can save quite a lot versus taxis. Breakfast is another. Finally, there's the value in being comfortable and well-rested versus feeling frazzled by noise in a large hotel or having to get up earlier to get to the airport from a more-distant place.

It is, as they say, all relative.

I'd definitely go hang out at Atlantis. You used to be able to buy a day pass for use of the facilities for about $25, but that was a few years ago.

Also, Bay St. has some interesting shops and local restaurants, and the straw market is cool if you need cheap souvenirs and want to barter.

Or you could take a tour of the Bacardi rum factory, on the south side of the island if you're into learning about (and sampling!) rum.

Yes and if you compare renting the govenors old mansion at 2500 a nite, Atlantis is way reasonable at 400 a nite. Its all relative.

Two options were given here for 45 and 78 dollars a nite, that makes 225 not reasonable. At any time and any where and for anyone except you apparently.

rexman24:
Two options were given here for 45 and 78 dollars a nite, that makes 225 not reasonable. At any time and any where and for anyone except you apparently.

Nope, it's definitely not true that 225 is unreasonable "any time and any where." There are places in the world where I'd challenge you to find any hotel room at all for less than that, and even more where seasonal or event rates push higher than that. Moreover, there are for example people out there who will cheerfully spend nearly $14,000 for a round-trip flight from Boston to London (BA 1st Class) while I sit in the back of the same plane for less than $300! They may be nuts to do that, but I doubt they'd quail at a $212 hotel room, so there goes the "for anyone except me" point. For all I know, the OP would normally stay at Atlantis, Greycliff, or the Lyford Cay Club but doesn't reckon they'd be able to take advantage of the amenities for such a brief stay.

If we're going to be picky (which, apparently, is the case), I'll note that ASTA is NOT $225; it would be $212 including 6% tax. The Wyndham is also NOT available for $78! If you try to book it, you'll find that they tack on 34% in "taxes and fees" to bring the total up to $104.55. Don't forget to add 40-50 bucks for cabfare to and from the airport and ten bucks or so for breakfast (they wanted $18 for a pretty meagre one at the British Colonial). It's sort of like those NY camera shops that charge extra for the lens cap and all the other accessories that are supposed to come with the item and gouge on shipping so they can advertise a lower price - the only thing that matters when comparing on price is the final total, so you must ensure that both totals include the same things. Yes, it's still cheaper than ASTA or lots of other places. However, even though it'd be about 22% less, "reasonably priced" does not mean the same as "cheap" to everyone. I'll cheerfully agree that I'll pay $45-50 more for additional peace, quiet, and comfort in a hotel. The Mignon does indeed sound like a steal, and seems to have really nice reviews (but I can't yet find a website that gives pricing). I'll definitely check it out next time I'm on the island.

However, those doesn't really seem to be your points. You seem to be peeved that anyone might have the temerity to think a price reasonable unless it meets your personal criteria. Why get so grouchy and go on the attack if someone expresses an opinion with which you disagree or has different budgetary criteria from yours?

Hi guys

Firstly, $200 a night is probably a bit too much for my budget this time (as I'm going on my own), the place does look nice. It has been bookmarked for a future visit where I would hope not to be on my own.

Looked at the B&B, however they only take bookings a few days in advance. I'm considering the Hilton (mainly because I have Hilton status) and may be able to get it cheaper through Priceline.

Another thing. On my return, my flight from Nassau leaves at 21.45. Now should I spend the day in Exuma, or head back to Nassau in the morning and spend the day around Nassau. Also if I take the second option, is there left luggage available at Nassau airport.

Cheers again.

Hi Pin,

It was pretty clear you were interested in the under $200 category of lodgings ; )

I've stayed at both the Hilton and Wyndham and far prefer the latter. The British Colonial is old, has an unsatisying beach, is downtown and can be noisy, and you'll definitely want a room upgrade if you're Gold or better. Also, even with Hilton status and going through Priceline you well may end up spending more than desired.

If you feel that you've gotten a good look around New Providence, IMHO Exuma is worth a day trip. You'll have plenty of time.

Last I was there, Nassau International had a leave luggage facility in the domestic departure area.

Regards,

DocVikingo

My feeling and I think most ppl, when someone asks for reasonable and is given options for 45 and 78(or 100), then you come along and suggest something for 212, that is outside what the person asked for and what is reasonable.

Yes reasonable is a very subjective term, but 212 isnt reasonable when you can get 50-100.

It was not an attack, not personal, and as it turns out not what the OP was looking for in this case. Dont be so defensive.

DocVikingo:
Hi Pin,

It was pretty clear you were interested in the under $200 category of lodgings ; )

I've stayed at both the Hilton and Wyndham and far prefer the latter. The British Colonial is old, has an unsatisying beach, is downtown and can be noisy, and you'll definitely want a room upgrade if you're Gold or better. Also, even with Hilton status and going through Priceline you well may end up spending more than desired.

If you feel that you've gotten a good look around New Providence, IMHO Exuma is worth a day trip. You'll have plenty of time.

Last I was there, Nassau International had a leave luggage facility in the domestic departure area.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Thanks for the info re the hotels.

On another note it seems I've got two flight options to Exuma: Bahamas Air or Sky Unlimited. Flight times and price are pretty much the same. Any views on either airline?

pin:
I'm considering the Hilton

We stayed there about a year ago and vowed not to again. The only benefit is that it's in town and walking distance to a number of things (including the Fish Fry). It's right across the street from Imperial Takeout, which is a reasonable place for Bahamian meals, and a couple of blocks from Cafe Skans, which is one of the only places where you can get breakfast with efficient service if you are on a schedule.

As others have pointed out, The British Colonial shows its age, is noisy, and the beach barely qualifies for the name. Our room there was tiny - barely enough room to walk around the bed. You can do much better for the price.

If you just have a day and mostly want to enjoy the beach, then you'll probably be happiest around Cable Beach (irrespective of how much you spend on your room...:wink: )

Yes the Imperial is a great place for some authentic Bahamian eats-try the chicken souse, johnnycake and of course sardines and eggs for brekkie.

Yellow building right across the street from the BC Hilton.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom