OT Follow-up: My Father's Pearl Harbor Day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marshallkarp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Thanks to all of you that have watched my father's Pearl Harbor Memories video at

Pearl Harbor Memories

I have received a number of emails and messages from some of you about how much you enjoyed the video and to pass along thank yous to my father for his service to our country. I wanted to let you know how his day went, this December 7.

I just got off the phone talking to my mother. My father is 86 now and lives in Pittsburgh, Pa. He and my mother are in remarkably good health. Every December 7, the city has a ceremony honoring the area surviving Pearl Harbor veterans. Also every year, the local VFW has a luncheon for the area surviving veterans. There are only seven left in our area of Pittsburgh, as there were nine last year.

There was a big snow storm last night and my father and mother reluctantly decided not to go. He feels very sad and disappointed about this, but he is very unsteady on his feet and it would be risky for him to walk in the snow. He felt very bad about not attending any of the remembrance ceremonies. However, he did watch TV shows about Pearl Harbor today and his name was listed in the local newspaper article about the surviving veterans.

My mother wishes for me to pass along their thanks to you that have sent the regards. He loves hearing from people and has heard from people all over the world regarding our video and his service. I printed off all these messages, 30 pages in all, and my mother said that he reads these messages everyday.

So that was the 65th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor for my father. God bless all who serve. May we never forget.

Back
Top Bottom