Oriskany

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bluwolf

Reaction score
Not if this is the right forum to ask, but looked like my best option. Looking to dive the Oriskany with Scuba Shack very soon, and while browsing, came across this site.

http://www.divester.com/2006/05/18/how-much-would-you-pay-to-dive-the-mighty-o/

Is this correct, as far as the difference in cost of diving the Spiegel Grove and diving the Oriskany? And if so, why?

And how many boats/divers would be on the Oriskany on a weekend day this month?

The Spiegel is about 5 miles offshore, the Oriskany is 22 miles offshore. Fuel is one of the biggest operator expenses.

Plus, Key Largo is a much more popular tourist destination. Greater number of divers means fuller boats and more competition.

Besides fuel, it's an all day charter to the Oriskany.

On the SPiegel Grove they can easily make two trips a day (or more for a late afternoon).

Also more wear and tear on the boat for the Oriskany and higher insurance rates (they base commercial charter boat operations insurance not to exceed XX miles off shore. Often 12-15 miles, unless you have an extended policy. I guess their idea is that if you are closer to shore, the less event of a loss if you run into a problem.).

Also, Pensacola is not the dive capital of Florida. South Florida is.

bluwolf:
Not if this is the right forum to ask, but looked like my best option. Looking to dive the Oriskany with Scuba Shack very soon, and while browsing, came across this site.

http://www.divester.com/2006/05/18/how-much-would-you-pay-to-dive-the-mighty-o/

Is this correct, as far as the difference in cost of diving the Spiegel Grove and diving the Oriskany? And if so, why?

And how many boats/divers would be on the Oriskany on a weekend day this month?

My wife and I are diving the Oriskany next Saturday with Viking Diving at $145 +$30.00 for Nitrox. Total $175 ea. for a 2 tank dive.

The Oriskany is so popular right now it's difficult to find a dive shop booking something other than the Oriskany. We depart at 0800 and return at 1600. Makes for long day.

havnmonkey:
Now I'm interested as to whether there are any fishes hanging out on it yet? Other than that it is just a hunk of metal, right?

:edit: A really massive, cool hunk of metal...

Probably very few fish as of now.
Correct me if I am wrong but the O was sunk more for the fishing industry than the dive industry. Thus it is farther off shore and deeper.

The following day after it was sinking, blennies were showing up as well as baitfish from what I've read.

There are some fish on her already, but not any large numbers. There were a couple of fairly large schools of bait fish and some groupers. There were also about four really curious juvenile Triggerfish about the size of a quarter. I tried to get some pics of them, but they were staying too close to me, nibbling on my thumb while I was trying to get a photo.

All in all, it was a very interesting couple of dives. I would probably do it again. For me, the only problem was the VERY LONG drive from west of Houston.

DSDO

The Oriskany was loaded with bait fish this week, along with a small school of small bar jacks. I did see one lone 16in Red Snapper hanging around a west side hatch at 90 feet. There's hundreds of small crabs (1-2inches) covering the decks. And on the ride up the anchor line, expect to be greeted by a pair of Ramoras. So the fish are finding it. The hull of the ship had an already-established eco system prior to its scuttling, so a lot of the life that lurked on the bottom has now found a great view from the island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom