Oriskany Trip Report 4.20.08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seadoggirl

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
On board the H2O Below were passengers from California, Louisiana (Harry’s Dive Shop, New Orleans), Washington State (Navy ROCKS), and Denmark. What a diverse group of divers! Our new friend from Denmark told us great stories about all the ship wrecks he dives in Northern Europe - hundreds of years of wrecks sitting right next to each other. He said that you can swim a few yards and view war wrecks covering three wars. It was such fun to listen to his stories and then to see now much he loved adding the Mighty O to his dive log. He was smiling from the minute he came up the ladder from the first dive, to the time we got back to dock.

The seas were finally bearable at around 1 foot on the way out and 2 on the way in. The wind was kicking the night before so it wasn’t clear what the seas would be like. The currents were mild to moderate on top with a small current at depth. As Captain Douglas always says “Just follow the travel line and you’ll get to see the Oriskany.” That’s what we did and everyone had a great dive.

Water temp remains at 68 degrees at depth and the vis was around 50 feet. Most of the divers are already starting to downgrade their wetsuits. Folks that were in 7m wetsuits a couple of weeks ago are now in 5s or 3s. There is the occasional Crazy Kelp Diver (you know who you are) that wears a shorty this time of year, but most everyone was in 5m suits. The sun was out so the surface interval was nice.

We saw tons of small amberjacks and huge barracudas – hundreds of them! Small red snapper and lots of tropical fish. By looking really close we were able to find two Octopus but I’m not telling where they are. Come dive with me and I’ll show ya, but we do not want a repeat of last years killing!

All in all it was a great day. I have never laughed as hard as I did watching Wedon’s version of Michael Jackson’s Thriller Dance! Single glove, moonwalk, hand in the air, “Woo” and all. The hot dogs on board were excellent – thanks Dive Master Rich.

Come dive with us on the H2O Below (850) 291-3501.

Thnx for the report

Thanks for the reprt.
It's nice to READ about diving anyway !:(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom