Oriskany supporters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

algulfdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I am forwarding this from a e-mail I recieved .

Dear fellow Divers and Oriskany supporters,

Most of you are very much aware of the amount of time and
effort has gone into the Ex-Oriskany project. (Mostly thanks to
Capt. Robert Turpin, our Chief of Marine Resources for Escambia
County) Well, all of the hoops and hurdles have finally come down to
one last push. On Tuesday, January 10, 2006, from 6:30 to 8:30 pm.
the EPA will hold a public meeting on the ex-Oriskany artificial
reefing draft approval at the Pensacola Junior College Hagler
Auditorium.

The meeting will be preceded by an informal poster session where
subject matter experts from the Navy and EPA will be available to
answer questions about the project. The poster session will begin at
5:00 pm.

This is it folks, the step we've been waiting for.

Please come to this meeting and show your support for the Oriskany.
We've been telling the Navy and the EPA how much the community is
behind us on this, now it's time to put up or shut up. If you have
ANY questions about the Oriskany reefing project, you'll never find
a more qualified group of folks to help you out.

There's also a form letter you can print, fill out, sign and bring
with you to give your input and support in writing to the head-
honcho EPA fellow.
I've put a link below to it in PDF format.

http://www.co.escambia.fl.us/departm.../Oriskanypubli
cinputletterhead.pdf

There is only ONE question I have and I doubt anyone there will be "qualified" enough to provide a reliable answer.

WHEN EXACTLY WILL THIS SHIP BE SUNK?

If few people show up, it doesn't mean they don't support the project, it means they are sick and tired of all the EPA foot-dragging. Having another "public meeting" is just a little game to look like they are doing something important while stalling yet further. The Navy would be willing to sink it tomorrow even if nobody showed up but the EPA wouldn't let them even if 10,000 people showed up. The fate of the project doesn't hang on this meeting.

Who said it did? Sitting around and doing nothing don't do much good at all.

algulfdiver:
How'd the meeting go, Gary?
Do you think the EPA will go ahead and approve the draft?
I can't see why they wouldn't, but you never know with bureaucrats.
Rick

algulfdiver:

It was the "put up or shut up" comment. And doing nothing is the absolute best thing that can be done right now. As I understand it, the EPA has cleared all of it's own red tape and the public comment period (ends Jan 19) is the last hurdle. After the EPA reviews and responds to any public input or objections, they are scheduled to issue final authorization in February if everything is OK.

Therefore, the best thing for the project going forward is for that meeting to be as uneventful as possible. Hopefully, nobody showed up and they have no busybody comments to "study" for another 6 months. I can just see a well-meaning supporter making an offhand comment and some EPA nitwit getting an idea and thinking maybe they better study something. A good salesman knows when to shut up.

Rick Murchison:
How'd the meeting go, Gary?
Do you think the EPA will go ahead and approve the draft?
I can't see why they wouldn't, but you never know with bureaucrats.
Rick

Sounds very promising. According to the news article linked below, about 100 supporters showed up, with no opposition. The EPA has determined the final issue, PCBs in the wiring and gaskets, do not pose a significant problem. The public comment period ends Jan 19 and unless something new pops up, it looks like it will be approved shortly afterwards and sunk before June.

Published - January, 11, 2006
Full steam ahead for Oriskany

"Craig Brown, EPA's project manager for the Oriskany, has received more than 150 letters and e-mail messages in support of sinking the ship, and not one in opposition, he said."

It was a good turnout. I think all were in favor of the sinking. The EPA was presented with about 150 letters in favor of the sinking. They said they have had no opposing letters on file. (knock on wood)
The Caption said if he brings it to Pensacola he don't wont to take it back to Texas.
I think if We see it come back to Pensacola by the end of Feb. it will sink in June.

Yes, that's what he was trying to allude to, but it seemed a few people didn't quite get what he was saying. If he gets EPA approval and the estimates from his people to get the work done fit in the timeline to get it on the bottom by June 1st, he'll bring it back. If he isn't confident it'll get done in time for next hurricane season, it stays in Texas.

So, who all's gonna be out there with me to watch her go down?
I am so ready for her to be sunk; so ready to dive her...
Waiting is not one of my strong suits.
Rick :)

Rick Murchison:
So, who all's gonna be out there with me to watch her go down?

The plan is a controlled flooding, where it will just slowly sink and not anything spectacular like target practice. Estimate is a 5 hour process.

e.g. boring.

But, that's why god invented beer :wink:

Find a ride and I'll happily join ya.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom