Oriskany report 7/8/06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

meigs3

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Went out on the Down Under from Orange Beach. Ride out was really rough w/a lot of 4' waves. The trip took about 2.5 hours vs. the usual 2 hours. Had 17 divers on which was not crowded. Wet Dream and an unidentified boat were on the wreck tied up at each end of the conning tower. With their locations and the rough water tying up was looking like a problem until the Wet Dream called and said they had a bent diver and they were returnning to Pensacola after one dive. Heard the USCG talking to them on the radio but don't know any more about the diver. Boat set a limit of 100' on the first dive. Viz was about 40'. Blue Chromis on the boat were the first I had seen this far north. A lot of juvenile Orange Phase File Fish. Marine growth, alage, is about 2" long on the metal. This is a really big site is the first thought I had. Just looking at the top of the carrier's island says this sucker is real big! Had a 2 hour S.I. between dives, everyone ate something and a number of naps were had as the waves had settled down somewhat. Next dive had limit of 75' which allowed for plenty of the conning tower to still be explored. A dive shop put an American flag on the tower which was pretty neat. Trip back in took 2 hours and a lot of sleeping was being done after the rough trip out and the 2 dives.

Thanks for the trip report, now I'll know not to ever use Down Under with silly depth limits like that.

yea why not let people go down to the flight deck if they want to?
that seems odd for a dive as expensive as the oriskany

Is the Down Under the name of the boat or the name of the shop. If it's not the name of the operator, please post the name so I know who to take off my list.

Glad you enjoyed your dive to the O. Thanks for the report.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom