Oregon Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jcsgt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Okay, I'm getting ready to go out of my gourd. I need to dive more often.

I was certified on the Oregon Coast 3 years ago. I've not dived there, since, except a brief dive in Woahink Lake a couple months ago. Instead, I've been a bit spoiled, only diving the Caribbean and tropical Atlantic.

Where are some good, fairly sheltered areas to get back into cold water diving on the Oregon Coast? I'd rather go saltwater than lakes, etc. I realize that I need to re-hone my cold water skills and learn some new ones before taking on much. That said, I'm looking for some easy diving within two or three hours driving distance from Eugene, easy shore access to start, etc. Something to see down there would be a plus. BTW, I also intend to dive with a friend whose much more acclimated to our little section of the Pacific until my buddy and I are up to par.

Thanks for any advice.

Come on, guys, there has to be something to fit the bill.

Can you get down to Brookings for a boat dive?

Brookings is definitely do-able. What's the diving like?

It's still Oregon, so it depends on the conditions. There are 4 or 5 good sites within range of Brookings. Lots of fish, scallops and kelp. Diving is great, with average vis at 15'. I'll get you a schedule.

Port Orford also has some great diving, but the shore entry can be a little tricky. Port Orford Reef is very good, but requires a boat.

dherbman:
It's still Oregon, so it depends on the conditions. There are 4 or 5 good sites within range of Brookings. Lots of fish, scallops and kelp. Diving is great, with average vis at 15'. I'll get you a schedule.

Port Orford also has some great diving, but the shore entry can be a little tricky. Port Orford Reef is very good, but requires a boat.

I really appreciate the schedule.

Tricky shore entry is probably out for now, I want to take this slow, as does my dive buddy. It's gonna be a lot different in a 7mil farmer john (no drysuit, right now, no money), a bit more weight and cold water.

Thanks.

I would suggest Netarts Bay. Stay along the shore to the left of the boat ramp. Just watch the tide and hit it on high slack. No waves, no surge, lots of crabs, greenling, nudis, etc.

Steve B

harris beach can be pretty good, on the right day. I recommend the south beach even though it is a bit of hike it is well sheltered from the longshore current and wind it is a little surgy but if you go when the tide is up you'll see some intersting things (sun stars and the like :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom