Ordered the DC-WP30 housing for my A75; any advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTexas

Contributor
Reaction score
I have ordered the DC-WP30 underwater housing for my canon A75 and would be interested in any advice on how how to take good pics with it and any "watch out for..." advice?

Thanks

ScubaTexas:
I have ordered the DC-WP30 underwater housing for my canon A75 and would be interested in any advice on how how to take good pics with it and any "watch out for..." advice?

Thanks

I have the A70 and it's a great camera for the $. Here'e the basics settings I use:
http://legopacific.com/faq.htm

Canon gives a good intro at:
http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/uwphoto/index-e.html

You'll probably want some sort of image editor like Photoshop or Photoshop Elements too.

ScubaTexas:

Thanks

Put the zoom on full wide angle and leave it there. Get close and then get closer. Minimize
the ammount of water between you and the subject The flash has a very short range underwater. Use it when you can.

Take lots of pictures both underwater and above and learn to use some photo editing software. A lot of the work is on the computer Most of the good pictures you see resulted from corrections done on a computer.

One more thing, get close to the subject.

ScubaTexas:

Thanks

Flood insurance :11:

I flooded my A70. Here's the secret to avoiding floods. Seal the case carefully. Then check it. Look once again. Now, make sure that it's sealed all the way around.
The o-ring is tricky in that it loves to creep out on a boat when you're gearing up. Do it in your house and it seats perfectly every time. Watch that o-ring! Don't overgrease it either.

ST - also have a look through the Canon Corner as there are at least a couple of threads where people have compiled their getting started tips for the A series and there is a ton of good info in there.

Personally, I reduce the power of my flash by one click otherwise it blows out those closeups in our water and I shoot on manual. In nice water I start around f4.5 and 1/250 or 1/320 for all shots bar closeups - f8 & 1/500 ish. Adjust as necessary. When I muck dive (6' viz, dark) I usually go to around 1/125 if I want background or stay fast if I want to black it out - I try to keep my f as small as possible.

Shoot 'til your fingers bleed.

Use the power of digital - shoot, review, adjust, shoot, review, adjust etc :)

Put your camera in the housing on land and learn what the buttons do. The more comfy you are with it on land, the easier it is going to be underwater.

Have fun!

Lots & Lots of pictures!!! I just burned 1.6 Gigs worth in Palau in 3 days! I'll get the pics up some time. Try different setting, Flash, no flash Large Aperature, P Mode, even Manual...Personally, I have my Custom settings #1: F8, cloudy, macro & flash. #2 P mode, cloudy,no flash. Anyway, lots of great advice above, if you want more of mine feel free to ask!! Good luck :wink:

Chad

When using the flash don't compose so that the best part of your picture inthe bottom right of the frame, you tend to get shadow from the lens there. Otherwise go for it.
Alison

I would recommend that you consider an external strobe. The small flash on the camera is not the best for anything less than very clear water. Use the diffuser that came with the case if you do not have an external strobe.

Repeat of a previous post - get close to your subject.

Take lots of photos.

alijtaylor:
When using the flash don't compose so that the best part of your picture inthe bottom right of the frame, you tend to get shadow from the lens there. Otherwise go for it.
Alison

Are you using the white plastic defusser card that came with the housing? It effectivly "moves" the flash forward to be even with the lens and prevents the shadow problem. It works well with macro subjects and out to about two feet distanct

I recently bought an external flash for my A80. It does everything you'd expect it to but it does have two unavoidable problems
1) It makes the for a large system. The camera is no longer a littel box I can clip to a bc. It is slightly harder to get the camera in and out of the surf
2) It is no longer possable to use any automatic exposure modes
So there is some advantage to using the camera with only the internal flash or no flash but overall the results are much better with the bigger external strobe.. I have the Sea and Sea YS90DX.

Back
Top Bottom