OrcaTorch 710D

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

D710 side by side with DGX700 and Big Blue VTL9000P-Max.

The DGX700 is slightly shorter and a little fatter at the light head.

View attachment 804209
This shows why I like the D710, it’s clipped off a lot more than it’s used, very compact and plenty of light. I also have some DGX lights, very simple and very good light.

Ok, really just testing the ability to load more than one pic.

there is also a D710v that I use as a video light for taking pictures, love the size and the 21700 allows for a nice compact package, I never use it on the hi setting.

Attachments

• IMG_4114.jpeg
    IMG_4114.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4113.jpeg
    IMG_4113.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3971.jpeg
    IMG_3971.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3943.jpeg
    IMG_3943.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 31
This shows why I like the D710, it’s clipped off a lot more than it’s used, very compact and plenty of light. I also have some DGX lights, very simple and very good light.

Yep. The size of it and the DGX are close enough to be a wash for me.

What I am looking into now is trying out a Dive Rite CX2. It's around 1.5 inches longer. But, it also uses a 21700 battery.

And, it has a newer technology LED emitter. The Luminus SST40 looks to be a fair bit more efficient than the Cree XM-L2 emitters used in most of those "1000 lumen" class lights that have been around for a while.

That means the SST40 can actually do the 1700 lumens that Dive Rite claims (Luminus specs indicate a max of 1800 lumens), AND it can burn at the same output level as the D710 or DGX700 for much longer time on the same battery.

They claim 980 lumens for 5.75 hours! And 1700 lumens for 2.75 hours.

Besides just how long it will burn, this seems cool to me because they all dim over time as the battery runs down.

A DGX700 will be noticeably dimmer after 2 hours in the water than it was at the start. I expect the D710 is the same.

I would expect that a CX2 on Medium might be the same brightness (roughly) as a DGX700 or D710 at the start of the first dive. But, after 2 hours, it OUGHT to still be much closer to its original brightness.

I could probably dive all weekend (recreational dives) with the CX2 without needing to recharge it. I need to charge my DGX lights each night.

CX2 looks interesting, not to pricy so you should defiantly buy one and let us know how good it it, if one of my 710s fail I would give this a very close look.

Speaking of new batteries...

I just got a D710 and I'm excited to try it underwater. But I want to get extra batteries for multi-dive days. The OrcaTorch 21700 batteries only seem to be sold a few places and the cost is over $40, and meanwhile I'm seeing other brand 21700 batteries for prices anywhere between $5 and $30.

Can someone help me figure out how to choose extra batteries that will work well without spending $45 each?

Thank you!

After many hits and misses I narrowed down my rechargeable batteries supplier to Orbtronic. I'm a happy camper now. They hold charge really well and not crazy expensive.

Speaking of new batteries...

I just got a D710 and I'm excited to try it underwater. But I want to get extra batteries for multi-dive days. The OrcaTorch 21700 batteries only seem to be sold a few places and the cost is over $40, and meanwhile I'm seeing other brand 21700 batteries for prices anywhere between $5 and $30.

Can someone help me figure out how to choose extra batteries that will work well without spending $45 each?

Thank you!
Buy batteries (and charger) only from a reliable reputable store/brand, even if they cost some extra bucks. I needed only one instance of a battery blown up to throw the cheap ones away. Fires caused by crappy batteries and/or chargers are fastly becoming the most common cause of domestic fires.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom