Options To Download Data From Cressi Giotto?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaJill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I bought a Giotto last year but never purchased the PC download kit. I'm interested in looking at my dive profiles in more detail, though, and was considering buying the download kit. LeisurePro currently has it on sale. My question - is there another way to download the data? I've found some mentions of open source dive software, but I'm assuming there isn't some generic cable that I could use to download the data?

I'll keep reading the discussions, but was hoping for some guidance.

There is no other option. The kit contains an Infra-Red eye emulating a serial port over a serial-to-USB converter. The software -- open source or not -- simply reads the data from a serial port, you still need all the hardware to get there. On top of that you need the drivers for the hardware. Last I heard Windows 10 does not have them and I don't think macohsex does either. Windows 7 is OK and 8.1 usually works, except when it doesn't.

Thanks, dmaziuk. I guess I was too hopeful.

On top of that you need the drivers for the hardware. Last I heard Windows 10 does not have them and I don't think macohsex does either. Windows 7 is OK and 8.1 usually works, except when it doesn't.
not correct.
native IRDA doesn't work presently under Windows 10.
but here, we have a proprietary InfraRed over a Serial to USB connection, and the drivers are from National Instruments, so, it must work.

that's the same for "old" Mares interface. InfraRed, but proprietary, and viewed as serial.

Last edited:
not correct.
native IRDA doesn't work presently under Windows 10.
but here, we have a proprietary InfraRed over a Serial to USB connection, and the drivers are from National Instruments, so, it must work.

that's the same for "old" Mares interface. InfraRed, but proprietary, and viewed as serial.

If you know where to get that "proprietary" w10 irda drivers, why don't you post the link in any of the windows 10 threads here? Or start a new one? I'm sure there's a few people who'd like to know.

by the way, IRDA is a standard, and proprietary is proprietary.
so, proprietary IRDA cannot exist.

for Cressi or Mares, the proprietary InfraRed to Serial to USB drivers are available at the supplier, within the software.

If you happen to have a computer with an IrDA port built in, you might not have to buy anything. An IrDA port would most likely be found on an older laptop.

If you have a computer with an IrDA port that is still running an older Windows that supports IrDA, you could probably download Subsurface (free open source dive log software - I use it and like it) and download your dives with no other software or hardware required. The Subsurface install package has a large library of dive computer drivers built in.

Back
Top Bottom