Options for budget diving in NZ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gemini106

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there
We are 2 instructors on a budget looking to do a fair bit of diving in NZ during Jan. We are taking a months break between dive jobs and are looking to have a bit of fun diving. We have all our own gear apart from tanks and weights so we are looking to purchase or borrow/rent 4 cylinders. We are not fussy where or how we dive. Just looking for some cheap, fun shore or boat dives.
We are planning to do the North and South island during our stay. Any tips on where to go? Who to go with? will be welcome :D

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay in replying - I try to keep an eye on the NZ forum, but must have missed your post a few days ago!

Whilst you can get some good dives done on a shoestring, I'd suggest budgeting for a couple of items to really get the most our of your diving here.

Volkner Rocks is special, no matter what it costs I'd make sure you get there. The best person to go with is John Baker from Baker Marine Charters. Do a 3 day liveaboard, you won't regret it.

I'd also budget for a trip to the Mikhail Lermontov (if wrecks are your thing), probably the best option there is to call Brent from Go Dive in Marlborough and do a 2 or 3 day "liveashore" from his bunkhouse.

And there is of course the Poor Knights that are worth factoring in.

Overall, I would say that the diving is better on the North Island than the South - there are some exceptions, mainly the Lermontov and Fiordland... the latter would be another must-dive area, but is as expensive as.

You'll get some great value diving around Matai Bay in the far north - contact Andre from A-Z Diving in Whatuwhiwhi.

Also check out Northland Dive in the Bay of Islands who offer great dive/stay packages. Shane and Julia really know how to make you feel at home.

In terms of shore diving, you can do a fair bit around and about. Matauri Bay has some OK dives that you can combo up with a dive or two on the Rainbow Warrior.

Goat Island, just north of Auckland, is also a nice dive.

The Wellington locals claim that Wellington has the best shore diving in the Universe - they have obviously never dived the President Coolidge, but there is some very convenient diving around there.

Lake Taupo is worth a dive, as is the drift dive down the Waikato River.

Drop me a PM if you want more advice or help in arranging dives at particular locations.

What he said..

Only with the clarification that not all Wellington locals think the diving is "the best in the Universe". The diving certainly is convenient and on a good day can be wonderful but.. it can be fickle re weather and vis.

You'd have to be very soft in the head, no wait you'd have to be delusional bordering on psychotic or just an unimaginative dullard to think it's the best...:rofl3:

:)

Ha ha thanks for that guys. It appears we might be in NZ sooner than we thought due to our current contracts expiring. Any ideas of anyone who might need 2 instructors? It is unexpected put it that way, but our boss's had already assumed we were leaving when the contract expires without asking us whether we wanted to stay on or not.

Andy might be able to answer that, my first impression is that due to it being the thick of winter here there may be little need for instructors.. But I wouldn't really know.

Not wanting to be too negative, but unless you're entitled to work in NZ then it's going to be a tough ask to get work.

Unsure how old you are, but if you're not eligible to work here already and are under 30 then you can try applying for a working holiday visa.

Most people start thinking about the summer months in September, so it's not a bad idea to ask around now. I don't know anyone who is actively recruiting, but you can always try these people:

Dive! Tutukaka (Kate)
Goat Island Dive (Brian)
Dive Centre (Malcolm)
Global Dive (Andrew)
DiveHQ (various - each store is semi-independent, try them all... but best bet may be Kelly at Bay of Islands)
Dive North (???)
Dive Shack (Aaron)

There are other shops/charters. You'll just have to get on to Google and try them all out.

Hey

we're both 22, so we can apply for a working holiday visa no problem. So getting the visa isn't really too much of a problem. Thanks for the list i'll send a few emails round later. Cheers Andy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom