Optimum time of year for Port Hardy diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agamemnon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I know that, with respect to visibility, winter is the best time of year for diving in the PNW but have heard that due to current etc., Port Hardy might be immune to some of the algal bloom issues we see in the lower mainland. Can anyone confirm this for me and perhaps, from their own experience, suggest an optimum time to go?

Also, how about the Nanaimo wrecks - how is the vis in the late spring/early summer?

Thanks!
Alex

I know that, with respect to visibility, winter is the best time of year for diving in the PNW but have heard that due to current etc., Port Hardy might be immune to some of the algal bloom issues we see in the lower mainland. Can anyone confirm this for me and perhaps, from their own experience, suggest an optimum time to go?

Also, how about the Nanaimo wrecks - how is the vis in the late spring/early summer?

Thanks!
Alex
Last May I was up in PH area on the Nautilus Explorer and vis was crap. Although I have been there a few times this was the first time I ever saw bad vis.
Nanaimo is usually pretty good however early spring (late March early April) brings the herring spawn which destroys vis for a week or two.

I've had better luck in the early spring in PH but like Dave says, it's always a crap shoot. The earlier you go in the spring the better the chance for good viz.

The earlier you go in the spring the better the chance for good viz.

This makes me happy! I'm going on the ADM trip in March.

I prefer may/june. you get to see the area before it's hammered by the summer sportfishing industry.

August is nice too, less viz, but tourists have mostly gone...

we've been going up there freediving&spearfishing for the last 4 years (twice a year). as said above, always a crap shoot.

I've had good luck with September up there. But I hear April is fantastic, I'll find out this year! Fall and spring are supposed to be the times to go.

I've had amazing viz and rather lame viz in August.

But really, Port Hardy diving is always mind blowing. If the viz isn't great, focus on the macro, if the viz is good, well... it's unbelievable!

I've had good luck with September up there. But I hear April is fantastic, I'll find out this year! Fall and spring are supposed to be the times to go.

I've had amazing viz and rather lame viz in August.

But really, Port Hardy diving is always mind blowing. If the viz isn't great, focus on the macro, if the viz is good, well... it's unbelievable!

Ya fall and Spring are the best for sure. Late August to October, wowie.

Back
Top Bottom