Optilink reaming

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seaducer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What a great new forum. I am a new photographer, and I love my setup. I have the DC500 with the digital flash and a WA lens and dock. The setup takes better pics than I do, so that is always good:D

At any rate, I have always had the occasional sync trouble, but this past trip it was becoming epidemic, and sometimes 10 or more shots before it did fire.

All batteries were fresh, the flash ready light was lit, and the optilink cable was attached properly.

I try to soak the gear in fresh water after every dive, but I am starting to think maybe I am getting some gunk in the fibers after a little more than a year. It there a recommended cleaning for the cable? Some solution to disolve salt and anything else that might be in there without ruining it? Or should I think about getting a new cable?

Thanks...Drew

Drew,
I uses a medium bristle tooth brush after about 10 dives to "ever-so-gently" clean the tips of the optilink cable.

After the first four dives, I began to have problems with the flash on my strobe. It was like that for several more dives... I checked everything. I even started checking it between dives...

Finally, I added a moisture muncher to the strobe housing... I've never had a problem since (I am only guessing that the housing was susceptible to moisture from the temp changes, but it worked for me the first time, and I have done it ever since... I haven't had a strobe misfire (other than being too excited about getting the next picture to wait for recharge) since then.

Now, if there was a setting on the menu to over-ride the review button on my DC600 at depth, I would be set (Sometimes I forget to push it back for taking pictures...)... Oh, sure, you can review at depth, change to video at depth... But, don't forget to move the switch back to "picture-taking" mode, or none of those functions will be available under water ... :shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom