Opnion on COmputer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spike,

Why the Vytec or VT Pro? Is it the mixed gas capabilites or wireless? If so, skip it, you don't need it.

Get a Vyper. Of course all Suunto products are excellent, but you pay a lot more for the Vytec and all it has differently is the wireless integration and mixed gas capabilites, but they are useless.

Funnily enough, there are divers who think that the AI feature is not useless. It is expensive though.

If you are buying these computers for the wireless feature, DON'T think that you can do away with a HP hose and SPG - the SPG is still there as your backup in case the wireless does crap out on you. I have a Vytec, and while I've never had problems on a dive with it, I have had trouble with the transmitter once on the surface, and had to fall back to using the SPG for that dive - the problem was user error on my part and not being familiar with the new computer. People that poo-poo wireless without trying it probably don't realise the convenience of having your tank pressure on your wrist along with your depth and dive time - it's just a *really* "nice-to-have" feature - not important, but it sure makes diving more enjoyable.

Eventually the battery in the transmitter will die as well, and while this should be caught through maintenance, it would suck to have a dive ruined because of a flat battery and no way to track your tank contents. So keep the SPG.

Being able to track your SAC on a dive-to-dive basis is fantastic - instead of calculating your consumption manually from dive to dive, you can download your profile (highly recommended anyway), enter your tank details, and see your SAC - it's very handy for future dive planning - and it's quite informative seeing consistent changes in consumption when encountering conditions like current, cold, depth, etc. For example, my SAC increases on deep dives, even though it should stay the same - so I can use that for planning. Using a wetsuit instead of a drysuit in the same conditions - my SAC is higher. Warm water - my consumption drops by a third. All handy to know, and the majority of people never work out their SAC anyway - it's a uselful figure to know.

Nice to have AI? Yes. Need it? No. Would I get it again? Definitely.

If you have the cash, get the wireless...I have the Suunto Vyper and love it...That being said, if I had the cash, I'd have gone wireless.

As Scubaroo said, don't think that a wireless relieves you of an SPG. Keep the SPG as a backup.

I would lean more towards Suunto computers as I believe most people on this board would. They just hands-down make the best recreational computers out there. It's also handy if you're diving the same brand (not model) of computer as your wife so you're using the same decompression model.

I use a Cobra and it's an excellent computer. I'm in the club of divers that really loves a good air integrated computer. If I could afford it I'd have a Vytec hoseless on my wrist as well. My buddy has one and he likes to rub it in my face every time we dive. One thing you might want to keep in the back of your mind is that if you're into underwater photography some hoseless computers will lose contact with the transmitter for a couple seconds when you fire off a large flash. I haven't heard of that problem on the Vytec yet and the computer can recover from the brief signal loss pretty easily. I have friends that do photography with a Vytec and this doesn't happen to them but I'm sure if you get a seriously big flash any hoseless AI computer would suffer from interference.

Look at Oceanic - I have both Sunnto & Oceanic and prefer the Oceanic Versa Pro. Not AI but big numbers and allows adjustment in how liberal you want to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom