Opinions on Maldives Liveaboards????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the input. FYI we went with a 10 day trip with the Dancer fleet in part due to discounts for doing multiple trips. Anyone combine mainland India with their trip?

We spent three days in Mumbai on our return. It was a very interesting place. Extremely dirty though. It's not a place I'd go FOR vacation but since we were already halfway around the world I'm glad we spent the time.

mjh,

I didn't combine India with the trip since BA has direct flights from Gatwick to Male. I have spent three weeks in India on a previous (non-diving) holiday. India is great, but think about the logistics of combining with a diving holiday.

You'll probably find that direct flights are limited between Male and India, but with connections you can probably get there.

Also, there's no malaria in the Maldives so you don't need to worry about meds. However, you would need to consider taking them in many parts of India. It's the only country where I've ever had any stomach issues. My friend & I both suffered from Dehli belly for several days. I was eating vegetarian while there so it wasn't bad meat.

Also traveling with lots of dive gear and expensive camera gear might be a consideration in India.

I loved India, but it's a full-on travel experience. All of your senses will be bombarded by the spectrum from good to bad. I traveled there with a good friend -- one of us had to have the guard up at all times. We met some lovely and genuine people, but we also met those trying to scam/take advantage of us.

I'd really suggest defining what you want to see/experience in India (it's a huge country with varied regions), then do your research and determine whether that's a separate non-diving trip or something you're willing to tack onto the beginning or end of a dive trip.

I think you live on the West Coast. If you go through Singapore, that could be a stopover. If you go East, Dubai (on Emirates) could be another stopover. Or London if you opt for the BA flights!

Last edited:
mjh,

You'll probably find that direct flights are limited between Male and India, but with connections you can probably get there.

Also, there's no malaria in the Maldives so you don't need to worry about meds.

Also traveling with lots of dive gear and expensive camera gear might be a consideration in India.

A couple of notes from my experience.

Flights-We flew Indian Air from Mumbai to Male with a stopover in Bangalore (Didn't get off the plane). It was BA First Class but it was better than I've seen in a lot of the third world. (i.e. Most of Africa).

Malaria-We were only in Mumbai. Malaria wasn't really an issue.

Food-No issues. The food was good and extremely cheap. Again, we were only in Mumbai.

Dive Gear-Left it at the hotel so it wasn't an issue. However, if you tried to do multiple cities within India I would say logistics could get complicated.

I'd say if you do it as a long stopover like my wife and I Indian is great. However, if you want to do it as a vacation within a vacation I'd say it would get difficult quick.

Thanks for the advice. I think time is not on our side to do India. It will have to be a stand alone trip, someday, after the Sardine Run, the Philippines, the Red Sea, and.....

Thinking about going to the Maldives in Feb/March. Looking for opinions, reviews of live-aboards. For us we want as many dives as possible, photog friendly, 10 day trip if possible, the fewer fellow divers the better (sorry:wink: and willing to pay a little more for a little more comfort.

Thanks

I made a lot of reserch in the internet because I´m going there in late january.

In this region there´s an issue, largely discussed in the forum, about an accident with an russian diver. Some names changed, some crew move to brand new beatiful boats ...

So I decided to go on the Carpe Diem, after trying to book on Orion. Both have nitrox and seems to be well operated with the owners diving inside the boat. I read some very good reviews about Ark Royal but it is a very disputted boat with few spaces left for the year.

I booked via an scuba travel agency of UK. They have a kind of insurance - Atol. I thought it´s better than to take a risk of sending thousand dollars to a virtual company in Maldives.

I'm looking for Looking for live-aboard feb 2011, sometime during feb 17 to mar 1. Maldives has been one of my areas of interest. If there is still room on your boat, can you reply with details of your timing?

Thanks.

I just got back for the Maldives from a week on the maldives aggressor. Great trip. The boat, crew and diving were excellent. Saw mantas, whale shark, and very healthy reefs. Loaded w/ fish

We are going on Sea Queen as a group from Australia. Only 12 passengers. 3 dives per day plus a night dive. Photog friendly

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom