Opinions on Lavacore Vs. 5mm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marybeth42

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm thinking about investing in a lavacore full body suit. I'm diving in Cozumel in February so I think that the LC alone may not be enough to keep me warm, so it seems a little silly to buy that instead of a normal wetsuit, since they're pretty pricey. Though, I know I could use it for layering in the future (I'm from the MW). Anybody have any lavacore experience? Worth it?
Also, is LC better than the other competing brands, which are about half the cost. I don't mind saving for better quality, but I'd rather not spend an extra $100 just for name-brand. Has anyone ever tried competing suits?

Thank you all for being wonderful!!

I really like the lava core. To me, it is significantly better than the other brands at $100. I've never dove Cozumel in February, but if the water temp is 80F or above, for me, a LavaCore would be all I needed.

Not a fan myself, sizing in my experience is rather odd as is the cut. There is no consistency in sizing or cut. I think way overpriced for what it is. I wore one under my wetsuit and noticed no difference in warmth. What is your tolerance to cold? I feel the cold and even in 80F water I wear a 5mm. Go into LavaCores forum under Manufacturers if you haven't already done so, you will find some additional info that may be helpful.

I like my full length Lavacore as well. I also travel with a Pinnacle Merino lined "core-warmer". I put that on underneath if I start to get a tad chilly.

That was a nice combination when I was in French Polynesia this spring and the water temps were in the high 70's.

I get cold easily...I'm so used to diving dry.

I really like the lava core. To me, it is significantly better than the other brands at $100. I've never dove Cozumel in February, but if the water temp is 80F or above, for me, a LavaCore would be all I needed.
Where did you get a full lavacore for $100? I was just looking at them and can't find anything less than $220.
I was considering them for swimming in the pool because they are thin and neutrally bouyant. Finally ended up with a 1.5 ml, due to cost. I paid $65 for my 1.5ml. I'd love to get the lavacore, if I could find one at $100.

I use a Lavacore vest underneath a 3/2 mm full suit when the tropical temps dip into to 79-82 range and/or when the clouds/rain prevent me from warming during surface intervals. This is what I did in late November-early December in Cozumel. A Lavacore full suit by itself would not have been sufficient for me in those conditions. A 5/4 mm full suit would have been slight overkill for Coz at that time of year, I think.

I have no experience with competing products.

Where did you get a full lavacore for $100? I was just looking at them and can't find anything less than $220.
I was considering them for swimming in the pool because they are thin and neutrally bouyant. Finally ended up with a 1.5 ml, due to cost. I paid $65 for my 1.5ml. I'd love to get the lavacore, if I could find one at $100.

I think you need to look at your Subject:Verb agreement.

Tracy, he's saying that paying the $220 for LavaCore is worth it as it's "significantly better" than the cheaper ($100) variants.

I never used LavaCore, but have heard it compared to a 3mm suit. I would recommend booties with it for sure, and possibly even reef gloves. That would help a lot. One thing about Lavacore is that it's not as tight as a wetsuit (normally) and doesn't stretch as much....so you may have a little more water and water flowing through the suit (hence the booties and gloves, closing up the seams a little bit). The biggest thing about Lavacore (to me) is the wind-resistance. I'm cold-tolerant, but on several dives I was freezing my ***** off in my wetsuit when others were SUPER comfy wearing their Lavacore suits. The next morning, their LC was dry as a bone and I had the wonderful experience of suiting up into an ice-cold wetsuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom