Opinions on Domes ?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bthinnes

Registered
Reaction score
I am getting my first DSLR housing - an Aquatica for a T2i -
I have a Tokina 10-17 as well as 60 and 100 mm Canon macro lenses
I expect to be picking up a Sigma 17-70 mm GP lens.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Do I get a 4" mini dome as well as getting an 8" dome?? $$
Will a 6" be an acceptable compromise?? < $$

How many use manual focus for macro or should I get the low profile AF macro port??

Opinion are very welcome - THANKS in Advance

Brian

Last edited:
I have experience with the 6" and 8" domes. My opinion would be just use the 8". It is a good all around dome I think and it gives you a little more buoyancy than the 6".

For flat ports, I have the focus knob but have never used it. I only use the 60mm though and think you may find more need for manual focus with the 100mm.

A lot depends on what you like to shoot. If it is really wide angle reef scenes then go for the 8 inch dome, it will be great for that. I shoot mostly CFWA with the 10-17 and I really like the 4 inch dome plus it is a lot more easy to travel with. For the macro port, I mostly use AF and don't think there is much reason to use a focus gear. If your eyes are better than the autofocus (Mine clearly aren't) then it might pay off very occasionally.

Bill

I use the 8" acrylic dome by Aquatica. Works great with the Tokina 10-17 for ultra wide reef scenes but I have no experience with other domes to compare to.

Also using the manual focus port. Lens works great in AF so have not tried the focus gears yet. Made the decision to get the manual focus port because specs said that manual focus port was necessary for use of the Inon insect eye endoscope.

Wide angle capability of Tokina opened so many possibilities over my previous DX-1G point and shoot that I gave up on macro except for those days with poor vis. Don't know if I'll ever get around to trying the insect eye.

Wide angle capability of Tokina opened so many possibilities over my previous DX-1G point and shoot that I gave up on macro except for those days with poor vis. Don't know if I'll ever get around to trying the insect eye.

This is what is causing some of my quandry. With the Tokina close focus capability then it seems there would be a distinct advantage to the 4" dome for close focus wide angle macro shots. If that is the situation then is there a case for a bigger dome? Then if there are cases for bigger domes is the 6" a good or bad compromise?

I don't know so I have questions!!! Lots and lots of questions??????:idk:

hey Brian

congrats on your new upcoming purchase.

Who are you ordering from? Just wondering why your dealer isn't helping out, many of the Aquatica dealers are quite knowledgeable.

hey Brian

congrats on your new upcoming purchase.

Who are you ordering from? Just wondering why your dealer isn't helping out, many of the Aquatica dealers are quite knowledgeable.

You R right about the Aquatica dealers and the support they offer. My dealer is no different!!! I have had this discussion and have some of his advice. He is currently enjoying the south pacific at this time and will be back in early April at which time I will continue seeking his council, however it never hurts to seek other opinions. The more the merrier IMHO.

There is a plethora of very knowledgeable people here in the forum. I like to research things to death. I am an engineer so it is part of my nature. As such I am certainly open to lots of input. From that I need to logically sort through the opinions and the associated supporting information and then try to make a logical choice based on all inputs; including my LDS, which will receive a very heavy weighting due to history and trust established.

We all know what we know but can only discover what we don't know through due diligence. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom