opinions on brass vs plastic dry suit zipper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting thread...never was sure which type zip should I have on my first drysuit. This was helpful. No matter which zip, make sure the shop you purchase it from is close by!

I have the plastic Tzip on my santi elite. Most likely around 50-60 dives in it with no issue. It still seems brand new as far as I can tell. I guess only time will tell.

I have a Bare X-Mission with the plastic zipper and, so far, I like it a lot. It isn't a back zip.

I have a Santi EMotion+ Front Entry Dry Suit with the TZip. I clean and lubricate the stop after every dive. Works great, is lightweight and is much easier to open/close by myself than a YKK zipper. Nothing last forever....

T-Zip had a major problem with a large percentage of their zippers. That's why both SANTI and DUI dropped them "Nothing lasts forever..." is true, but a zipper needs to last more than 50 dives. It sounds like you got one of the good ones.

Mine was literally bubbling along about 60% of it's length when I soaped it up. At that point, it had never been in anything other than the pristine fresh water of Tobermory. No shore dives. No dressing on shore. It was essentially used in a "sterile" environment. When I connected with the Halcyon rep, he didn't even question it. He just said send it in and we'll replace it.

Having said that, I have friends in SANTIs that have maybe 300 - 400 dives on theirs and the zippers are tight.

I have a Santi Emotion with the TiZip plastic zipper. 300+ dives and no problems.

Diving with a club but will be donning and doffing solo, I hope. Anyway pretty sure I'll be struggling and stretching the open zipper to get in and out of the front zip suit . Otter, Hollis or Santi not sure which one I'll buy. Which suit manufacturer one would be the smoothest getting in and out of to keep the stress off the zipper?

Just bought a new suit. Did tons of research. Lot of reading between the lines when looking at the data. What it looks like to me...

Plastic tends to work better on a front zip where the zip bends over the shoulder more but isn't pulled on as much.
Metal tends to work better on a back zip where it doesn't bend as much.

I went front zip in plastic. 7 dives and happy with it. More comfortable then the old suit with the front brass zip. Probably a few years until I can really answer any durability questions, at least that is what I am counting on.

Be sure to use the lubricant supplied with the drysuit. I've read a lot of posts of people having problems, yet it is rarely a problem up here. Of course, everyone who has the plastic zipper, up here, has been informed to use the lube. From what I understand, if you don't use the lubricant the zipper stands a chance of failing after 40 dives or so.

In our rental pool all of our suits have the TiZip zipper and none have failed. It is important to use the lubricant.

Be sure to use the lubricant supplied with the drysuit. I've read a lot of posts of people having problems, yet it is rarely a problem up here. Of course, everyone who has the plastic zipper, up here, has been informed to use the lube. From what I understand, if you don't use the lubricant the zipper stands a chance of failing after 40 dives or so.

In our rental pool all of our suits have the TiZip zipper and none have failed. It is important to use the lubricant.

Are you lubing just the docking end like the instructions say to or the whole length of the zipper?

Are you lubing just the docking end like the instructions say to or the whole length of the zipper?

Just the two ends, not the whole thing. After the lube is put on the zipper be sure to zip it back and forth a couple times.

I have a tizip on my Santi around 70 dives, so far no problems. After reading so many reports of failures I do occasionally lie awake at night worrying about when it's going to give. Hoping I'm one of the lucky ones.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom