Opinions needed on "reliable" budget lighting!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive with one of these. So far I've had it down to 60 metres without any issues at all. The light can be adjusted to minimum for normal light macro photography. The UV leds gave decent images too. Overall I'm fairly happy with it.

So, how do you guys buy these lights from some small "business" in China? How in the world do you feel safe sending money to them? After looking at their products, I would absolutely order some things there, but not without some kind of protection from them scamming me. If I ordered from them now, I would have them ship to the dive shop I trust in the PI. Of course, anything coming into the PI is under severe risk from tampering by their "customs representatives".

I have purchased 100+ different items through Aliexpress; haven't run into any scammers. In the few cases where there was something wrong with my order (for example, I ordered a bicycle computer and they sent me a Chinese version instead of an English one) dispute resolutions have been quick and painless (in that particular example, they simply refunded me the full value and didn't even ask for the wrong item back).

I've bought a lot of Chinese lights, and other items, over the years from Bangood and Gearbest using Paypal. Most all transactions have been fine. Only used Ali once as they won't take PP from WA state. No idea why, and I use PP to protect me to some extent.

Some of the dive lights are quite good, some have issues; corrosion, almost NEVER as bright as claimed, rusty magnet switches, poor construction, funky O-rings, and of course...leaks. A few are complete trash. If you can't find a rel review from a diver you are pretty much on your own.

Some of the dive lights are quite good, some have issues; corrosion, almost NEVER as bright as claimed, rusty magnet switches, poor construction, funky O-rings, and of course...leaks. A few are complete trash. If you can't find a rel review from a diver you are pretty much on your own.

I have three lights that I purchased through Aliexpress - 2x Archon D36V and 1x Archon V10S. They weren't cheap - about $500 in total, not counting batteries - but they're bright and trouble-free (so far).

I have purchased 100+ different items through Aliexpress; haven't run into any scammers. In the few cases where there was something wrong with my order (for example, I ordered a bicycle computer and they sent me a Chinese version instead of an English one) dispute resolutions have been quick and painless (in that particular example, they simply refunded me the full value and didn't even ask for the wrong item back).
You should consider yourself VERY lucky! According to the reviews I've read, it is a total crapshoot except that at craps, at least you can win! With these businesses, the best you can do is receive what you paid for... NOT worth the risk to me.

I've bought a lot of Chinese lights, and other items, over the years from Bangood and Gearbest using Paypal. Most all transactions have been fine. Only used Ali once as they won't take PP from WA state. No idea why, and I use PP to protect me to some extent.

Thanks for your input. Could you let us know which lights you found to be "quite good?" Considering I'm brand new to underwater lighting, I'd really like to do some experimenting without wasting too much money. I'd also like to order something while I'm in the PI just to see what problems come up.

I can't recommend any cheap video (wide angle) lights. For those I spent $$. I can point at some tighter focus lights for general diving.
FWIW, looking for Archon, Orcatorch, and Brynite give you a good chance of getting a good light. Many of the name brand lights are just these lights re-branded.

I tried this one:
SolarStorm D02 LED Dive Light

Basic construction was OK. For the price output was decent, not as much as you really would like though if you are using it for actual photography vs. a focus light. On this one the magnetic switch worked, BUT the spring mechanism was about the quality of a ballpoint spring. It rusted to bits after awhile and the mechanism could jam. You needed to open it up BEFORE you ever dove it, pack it with silicone grease, and repeat occasionally. Took me awhile but I did manage to find a stainless spring at a really good hardware store.

So, how do you guys buy these lights from some small "business" in China? How in the world do you feel safe sending money to them? After looking at their products, I would absolutely order some things there, but not without some kind of protection from them scamming me. If I ordered from them now, I would have them ship to the dive shop I trust in the PI. Of course, anything coming into the PI is under severe risk from tampering by their "customs representatives".

paypal and aliexpress both have buyer protection. you either get what you ordered or your money back. i have ordered 10 lights off aliexpress so far. all have arrived as pictured and all were working and leak free when arrived. 2 of the oldest have started to corrode a bit since i wasn't as diligent about the greasing early on. like fmerkel posted, you need to replace the orings and grease everything really well to prevent corrosion on these cheap lights. the output isn't as high as claimed, but you can make a reasonable estimate based on the emitters used. and you can get better output with resistor mods as generally the drivers / emitters still have amperage headroom if you want.

i wouldn't bother getting the 4x xp-g solarstorm/evolva d02 video light anymore. i have 2 from a few years ago and back then it was ok for the money, but the output isn't really enough except for night diving. the newer 15 xml or 6 xhp emitter video lights on aliexpress have much better output and don't cost that much more. i have about 40 dives so far on mine down to 120 ft. the output is comparable to a bigblue 4200 maybe a smidge higher. the color temp isn't great though (sola is visibly warmer) and they do have a bit of a hotspot.

I can't recommend any cheap video (wide angle) lights. For those I spent $$. I can point at some tighter focus lights for general diving.
FWIW, looking for Archon, Orcatorch, and Brynite give you a good chance of getting a good light. Many of the name brand lights are just these lights re-branded.

I tried this one:
SolarStorm D02 LED Dive Light

Basic construction was OK. For the price output was decent, not as much as you really would like though if you are using it for actual photography vs. a focus light. On this one the magnetic switch worked, BUT the spring mechanism was about the quality of a ballpoint spring. It rusted to bits after awhile and the mechanism could jam. You needed to open it up BEFORE you ever dove it, pack it with silicone grease, and repeat occasionally. Took me awhile but I did manage to find a stainless spring at a really good hardware store.
Great information! At this time, I will be ordering while in the PI to be delivered to Cebu Island. I want to start with something pretty inexpensive just to see how it goes.

Actually, I was thinking video light just because I can leave it on while shooting particular subjects and turn it off otherwise. This way I would not have to rig a strobe and cable at this time and still have some supplemental lighting. I am really mainly interested in macro photography because it is so much more interesting to me. I realize my pictures will not be anything special, but I can at least practice techniques with approach, positioning, and correct buoyancy.

If you have suggestions on a light that I can switch on and off manually which will be more of a spot instead of wider angle, it would really help I believe. I even thought about rigging something to hold my torch so I could use it to help to some degree. It is a nice one, but only 650 lumens on high.

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom