Opinions needed: New diver in a pool without a buddy at the bottom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm... Is it worth considering that pool diving without a buddy may very well be a gateway drug to solo diving? Next step, diving a spring without a buddy, then some shore dives, and next thing you know, you're diving six mixes as you solo deep into caves with wrecks on top of them... I hope I learn when to say when before I get there -- I don't particularly like closely confined spaces. :)

(Incidentally, the pool I dive (solo) at my parents' place has one of the non-chlorine chemical regimens. It is a lot easier on the eyes, and it doesn't bleach fabric at all, so I would imagine it's much better on my gear. I still rinse everything very thoroughly after every pool dive.)

:lol: That's like comedy club funny.

It's a pool, same risks swimming alone as wearing gear, so it seems to me. Assess for your self and dive in or not.

Just my 2 cents.

ClayJar:
Hmm... Is it worth considering that pool diving without a buddy may very well be a gateway drug to solo diving? Next step, diving a spring without a buddy, then some shore dives, and next thing you know, you're diving six mixes as you solo deep into caves with wrecks on top of them... I hope I learn when to say when before I get there -- I don't particularly like closely confined spaces. :)

Thanks, now I get to clean the tea of my monitor:wink:

It would be interesting to start a thread about what a buddy can do for you underwater.

Some real obvious reasons for having a buddy are:
1- backup supply of air (Maybe)
2- Someone to cut you free (Or cut your hoses)
3- If your Narc'd, they "MIGHT" be thinking clearer than you
4- If you Ox Tox they can hold the reg in your mouth (provided they havent already passed out)
5- Backup DC and depth guage (Shouldn't be sharing anyway)

I am trying to capture the Yen/Yeng of the list :wink:

Thats a start of a list
Anyone want to grow it?

Should we start a new thread?

What he said.

Somebody to confirm that that big dark thing really WAS a humpback whale -- on the same line of thought, somebody with a camera to record said whale.

adrenalineblues:
OMFG!!!! ITS A POOL!!!!! I am fairly new around the boards and don't want to ruffle feathers..

Oh hell who cares... ITS A POOL!!!!!

People need to relax....

<going to make some soup now and hoping I dont kill myself with the can opener>

Maybe I shouldn't do that solo....

I'm with you on this... just be careful. I usually fall asleep at the bottom. Man, you can get 2.5 - 3 hours on a single 80 when you are asleep.

I was 22 the last time I used it in the pool at the parent's house.... after an 1.5 hours, my mother damn-near freaked out. She said I had not moved in 15 minutes, and she couldn't get my attention. She jumped in and woke me up... lol

I was banned from the pool with gear after that

Holy cow, how can you fall asleep? For real? And the regulator stayed in your mouth?

TSandM:
If you are in a swimming pool with another swimmer who is capable of free diving to the bottom (as I would think most people would be, given the depths you are talking about), and one of the swimmers is willing to watch you while you are practicing, I don't see a problem with it. I've done work in our pool with my husband sitting on the concrete next to it. I mean, short of getting bad air and passing out at the bottom of the pool, what's going to happen in 12 feet of clear water that you can't deal with or somebody can't assist you with? Sometimes I think we get too paranoid.

Mind you, this doesn't apply to rebreathers, apparently . . .

I agree. But be sure someone is monitoring you, not just playing around in another part of the pool and glancing your direction whenever they remember you're in there, too.

SNorman:
Holy cow, how can you fall asleep? For real? And the regulator stayed in your mouth?
For real... I sleep with my mouth closed, so yes... it stays in your mouth

If your bouyancy is right, it can be like sleeping on a cloud (if I knew what a cloud feels like)

Also, this is Fl.... when the water gets up toward bath temp. it's really relaxing

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom