Opinions- Dive Career Training Centers??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WestsideDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am considering pursuing a career in scuba diving. i am currently an advanced open water diver with approx 50 logged dives. i worked in the scuba diving industry in retail/rental shop for about a year and a half. i am currently located in Colorado, but am willing to travel to obtain the training i need.

At this point, i'm going to need my rescue diver, divemaster and OWSI certs at a minimum. i'd consider taking courses beyond OWSI cost permitting, but in this economy i'm not sure i can afford it at the moment.

I've had a look at ProDive in ft. lauderdale florida and like what i see. their prices are on the high side, but are all-inclusive (courses, exams and materials). does anyone have any suggestions for other dive centers with good reputations and reasonable costs?

please post your opinions!!

I am considering pursuing a career in scuba diving. i am currently an advanced open water diver with approx 50 logged dives. i worked in the scuba diving industry in retail/rental shop for about a year and a half. i am currently located in Colorado, but am willing to travel to obtain the training i need.

At this point, i'm going to need my rescue diver, divemaster and OWSI certs at a minimum. i'd consider taking courses beyond OWSI cost permitting, but in this economy i'm not sure i can afford it at the moment.

I've had a look at ProDive in ft. lauderdale florida and like what i see. their prices are on the high side, but are all-inclusive (courses, exams and materials). does anyone have any suggestions for other dive centers with good reputations and reasonable costs?

please post your opinions!!

Pro dive is a fine establishment, I did my IE with a few of them and they are true professionals. Their price is high, but you get what you pay for. I did my IDC at EASE in Vero Beach Florida, they were perfectly competent, and about a grand less. All I missed was an embroidered shirt.

I guess my biggest issue is the fact that you have no practical experience with the dive industry on the training side beyond taking your training. Would you want to train with an instructor who was trained to the bare minimum requirements? Without the practical experience of being a DM for a while, you'll be lacking in problem solving ability and logistical requirements of a dive professional.

Take your time, get your classes done near home so you can learn the dive industry in your area. Make a name for yourself as a competent DM, relax and most importantly, go dive quite a bit more before you even consider OWSI.

While you may be willing to travel to obtain certification, are you willing to travel to obtain work? If not, then I recommend getting your certification locally.

Take rescue diver and dive some more. Get experience diving the type of environment you plan on teaching in. Then take Divemaster. Help out with classes. That will give you time to improve your skills, observe teaching, and make a name for yourself as a competent DM. Then, once you have achieved that, take OWSI. Help some more classes to get your teaching skills down before you take the Instructor's exam.

More diving is good. You need a minimum of 60 dives to be a DM and 100 for the IE, so, put your efforts into diving right now and worry about professional certs until a little later. The more you exceed the minimum requirements, the more experiences you will have and therefore the more comfortable you will be when the time comes to take the IE.

I went to Pro Dive for the career program. You learn allot not just in the classes but also you learn about what is going on on the boat. It was an awesome program and experience. Everyone in my class got a Job in the industry. I was actually hired by Pro Dive and could not be happier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom