Opinion on this camera please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ulsterkiwi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been using my Canon G7 to shoot some video which has been fun and editing lots of footage into something watchable has really whet my appetite for underwater video so I wanted to move to a dedicated piece of equipment.

The choice in the world of video camera is overwhelming and it does seem that technology is fast moving but a little given to gimmicks? I could well be wrong.

I dont want to do the GoPro thing but do wonder about some of the older models and if they are up to the job compared to newer technology.

I have seen a SonyPD150 with a Gates housing on the go for a very reasonable (for my budget) money.

Has anyone on the board any experience with this camera/housing/combination.

I realise that MiniDV is an older format and in ways solid state is more reliable. My thoughts so far are that this camera has been used in the professional setting so it must be worth considering. Older doesnt always mean not good. My G7 has allowed me to produce some still images which have been published so I do feel I can make that statement with some confidence.

Anyway I am a complete novice/noob/padawan learner when it comes to video so would appreciate your constructive input:D

You're looking at spending ~$1000 on an out-of-date video camera, then putting it in a top-of-the-line housing. If it were my money, I'd look seriously into going with a DSLR that shoots video. The last two Nat Geo crews I worked with were using the Canon 5D while a Discovery Channel crew I ran into yesterday were working with the Canon 7D (which runs ~$1600). Cheaper options include the now out-of-date T1i, T2i, and the current T3i. You don't have a lot of older options to try because the DSLR HD movement is fairly new, but they supply loads in the way of versatility and the recent Rebel cameras are still cheaper than the Sony you are looking at. As for housings, you have lots of options from Ikelite (cheap but solid) to Aquatica, Sea and Sea and even Gates. Use the money you save to pick up some extra lenses!

Hope this helps.

What's reasonable money?

You can get a current Canon or Sony HD video camera in a good quality housing for under $2K U.S. As cheap as $1K if you're willing to put up with some housing control limitations.

I personally can't see shooting a Non-HD camera today. The quality of even the lowest level HD camera is stunning by comparison. Especially on a bigger screen.

The PD-150 was a good camera in it's day. I'm not so sure I'd say that about it now.

You also need to consider the head wear on it - IIRC it has an option to show the hours it's been used. Parts availability might be an issue also.

hi, good money is $500 New Zealand for both which is roughly $400 US. Maybe that means things like head wear are an issue? The reason for sale is stated as "upgrade" which seems reasonable, but perhaps it also means the camera is not up to the job. I guess if it looks too good to be true it must be :)

Good advice, the DSLR is attactive but would be running me $4-5k NZ

diversteve, can you be more specific about models from the Canon range? I like Canon having had a good experience with the G7 after moving from Sony cybershot still cameras.

For around $1K U.S. you can get the Canon housing WP-V4 and one of the 3 Canon models that fit it. It does have limited control functions - on/off, zoom-tele and photo mode. Also 130' depth limitation. Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : Waterproof Case WP-V4

The VIXIA HF M500 will be $549 when it becomes available. To compensate for the lack of white balance controls the camera itself has an underwater mode setting. The other two models are slightly higher. Canon VIXIA HF M500 Full HD Camcorder 6096B001 B&H Photo Video

Currently Canon is updating their model lineup so neither seem to be available yet. Abe's of Maine (I've bought from them) has the housing on pre-order for $499. http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?item=CNWPV4&id=CNWPV4&l=FROOGLE B&H Photo probably will also soon - they've sold the previous models.

My dive buddy has a Canon WP-V1 with an MF-200 camera. He gets very good to excellent results.

I would assume that Ikelite also is working on a housing for these new cameras. Their previous housing for the MF300 was $800. A big advantage it has is that you have touchscreen access - the Canon housing does not.

A third option is an Amphibico Turtle with a Sony Camcorder. Electronic controls, back-mounted LCD, electronic manual white balance and greater depth rating are the advantages it has. Since it's a flatport there are no lens add-ons possible. They're $1195 - Turtle Underwater Video Housing Most of the cameras it works with look to be in the $4-800 range. They're not the latest/greatest models though - mostly a year or two older since that was when the housing was made. And Amphibico shut down last year b4 being acquired by Aquatica Digital.

I shoot an Amphibico EVO which is the same housing with more features. I have had zero problems with it since 2005.

That seems like a reasonable price for the PD-150/Gates combo. At least that's about what I'd want to spend on older technology.

you should be looking at Red camera with its underwater housing. Don't get any of those camcorders with the same resolution as a gopro.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom