Opinion on Reg/Comp. Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shoreliner11

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am still new to diving but I am moving to Townsville AU in Feb. until late june for a semester abroad. Being as though I have only rented and borrowed equipment thus far I am buying all my equipment before I leave. This is the regulator/computer setup I was thinking:
Zeagle Envoy Deluxe Regulator
Zeagle Envoy Octo
Oceanic Versa Pro Wrist Computer
Tusa 2 gauge console (pressure and compass)
I'm trying to save money where I can (I am a college student after all) but I don't want to have to upgrade in a years time because I decide to dive nitrox or am limited by less than par equipment. I'm really not sure what octo I want but, I have read the zeagle envoy again is a good way to go. I am from washington so I'd like the equipment to work well in both warm and temperate waters. The verdict is still out on bc, but any recommendations for a back inflate/weight integrated bc are welcome. Thanks
Aaron

Sounds like good gear for the money....very rare to hear any bad reviews of zeagle stuff and the envoy has been really well reviewed. I have the atmos 2 which is very similar (almost identical) to the computer you're looking at if I'm not mistaken and I really like it; lots of experienced divers will prefer more conservative computers, but I was never able to find any actual evidence that the more liberal computers present any added risk of DCS than the conservative ones (another thread.....) and it's hard to argue with the price of the oceanic/atmos.

Check out the BC forum for about a zillion threads on the virtues of the Backplate/wing set up in place of a standard BC. If you start reading now, you should have time to get through most of the threads by Feb....in terms of trying to avoid the "buy now, upgrade next year" scenario, you should research the BP/W idea before you buy. Or save some money and get a used BC while you mull it over for a year.

Shoreliner11:
IZeagle Envoy Deluxe Regulator
Zeagle Envoy Octo
Oceanic Versa Pro Wrist Computer
Tusa 2 gauge console (pressure and compass)

That would be a very nice inexpensive package. The only thing I might suggest, is since you are in Australia, I'm not sure if you are using metric or imperial. We also carry an Aeris 2 gauge console, pressure and compass, that can be done in metric or imperial, and we have southern hemisphere, or northern hemisphere compasses for it... Aside from that... I'd say you picked a very nice package.

Well, I'm actually in the states but I'll be residing in AU for a good 5 months. I took a look at the Aeris 2 gauge console, I wasn't aware you could get just pressure and compass for this console. I like the Aeris more so than the Tusa (looks sturdier) but this is more what I would want though. I was actually planning on buying this through you. From what I read, do I need to call to try and get the SB discount? THanks again for the input.
Aaron

I also have another question. I was reading another post regarding the fact that the envoy is not a sealed reg. Would this be a problem diving in washington where water temps can get below 50 in the winter? Thanks for the input.
Aaron

When you get in the 40's... icing is possible, so then you go sealed if you plan on doing much of that temp diving. Doing something like the 50D or the Flathead would be sealed, and anti-freeze vanes on the second stage as well... and bump up the price by about 100 bucks....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom