Opinion on Lotus I3 BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jtim321

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am relatively new to diving (about 25 ) And an starting to purchase my own equipment. I dived locally, as well Travel to warmer areas. I like the idea of the I3 system, But wonder if it's a good BCD for me & my needs. I have gone to many LDS hoping to demo it but have had no luck. So in a attempt to make an informed purchase, I would love to hear from any ladies or men who use this style and their opinions of it.
One thing that I've heard by talking to locals is that the lever has a tendency to get caught when Maneuvering through kelp and seaweed (lots of that in Southern California), Inflating unexpectedly during dives.

My wife and I just purchased new bcd's today. Hers - Aqualung Lotus i3. Mine - Aqualung Dimension i3. We are new to diving, so we have no traditional habits to break. And the reviews from people who purchased and use them are very encouraging. My only concern is something or someone other than me causing my bcd to inflate. Aqualung should consider manufacturing a "kelp guard", a clear and rubbery snap-on cover that easily allows the use of the inflation lever, but prevents stringy stuff from snagging the lever. Does anyone know if it would hurt anything to tape a piece of seran wrap over the lever in those situations? Anyways, we are looking forward to our first dive and we'll be sure to post our opinions.

You will love the i3 system. I just sold mine to go to Bp/w for another reason. If I buy another traditional bc it will be the Dimension i3 again or whatever new back inflate AL has at the time. I don't think you will regret the purchase.

I have to caution you about buying ANY equipment simply based on the advice of other people. That can be the biggest mistake and worse decision you'll ever make. I can't say it loudly or strongly enough, you MUST try before you buy. Ideally in the water, but at the very least you should be trying the BC on before making such an important (and expensive) decision.

I purchsed my first BC based on a friend's recommendation and the internet information about it being the "best" women's BC. Since I couldn't try it locally (the shop didn't have my size), I bought it used on ebay, and when I got it was a little concerned at how it felt once I tried it on. We went on a dive trip to the Florida Keys and before the trip was 1/2 over, I knew I hated it and was going to sell it. Fortunately, I didn't lose any money on the deal since I sold it on ebay, but what a huge mistake it was to buy it in the first place.

I immediately began searching for the perfect BC and with the help of ScubaToys, found it! I've been diving my Zeagle Zena for 9 years and have nearly 500 dives on it. Because of the hype on this forum about BP/W set up, I was fitted in one to give it a try, and like my first BC experience, realized quickly that it wasn't for me. I went happily back to my Zena and haven't looked back since.

This post isn't an endorsement of the Zena or a condemnation of the Aqualung or BP/W, it is simply my journey to finding the right gear for ME. I strongly encourage you to take the same journey and find YOUR perfect gear. It is worth the time and hassle it might require you to make.

Sound advice above. I'm a guy so obviously no idea how this would fit. I was speaking only about the i3 system.

I have tried on the Lotus i3 in store but have not dove with it. I do own the Soul i3. The Soul i3 is a hybrid rather than a back inflate but the wrap harness and such are all the same. The Lotus i3 will pack a bit better but the Soul i3 is not exactly bulky either. I just prefer hybrid-jacket style and pockets. The Lotus i3 I tried on felt the same as my Soul i3 in terms of fit, comfort, and sizing.

I love, love, love it. The i3 system itself is awesome in my opinion. Easy to use and frees up your arm much faster and is much easier to use if you need to access it in a more restrictive drysuit and such. I also hate having the traditional quick inflate hose by my face and not always being in the same place. The lever is always in the exact same place! If you have a sensitive computer you also won't get beeped at for ascending too fast or otherwise changing depth readings like can happen if you raise arm up over head to release air from traditional inflator hose. You can stay horizontal and it still releases air. Lots of people I know around here were skeptical but after seeing me in my Soul i3 and my husband in his Axiom i3 (and trying them out) we have a lot of long-time diving converts and i3 owners amongst our dive friends. This includes a couple former Zeagle Zena owners! Ha.

The harness system is very comfortable. It is most noticeable, or actually NOT noticeable, in the water. It is that comfy! The swivel buckles on the shoulder straps work well over larger chests but would be just as fine over smaller ones. Aqualung has really spent a lot of R&D on actual women's specific fits and options, not just scaling things down and calling them "women's specific". If you shore dive the harness & padded lumbar area are very nice. The tank attachment also balances the tank weight nicely on your back.

I measure right in the mid-range of their XS/SM sizing and that is what I have. It fits well over a 3mm or 5mm and adjusts to make room for a drysuit (Fusion Tech with Thermal Fusion undergarments). I tried a MD that a friend ordered but it was huge and bulky on me so the chart seems pretty accurate. My husband is mid-range for M/L Axiom i3 and it fits him great. The Large is huge on him.

No problems with lever getting caught and no one I know has had any issues. The lever is small enough and fits close to your body and it is not THAT sensitive. You do need to actually lever it. You would have to be wrapped up enough that any kelp would keep you stuck down anyway! Were those who said that actually diving with it as that sounds like the people we know who never tried it and are resistant to anything new and said things like "you could accidentally inflate it and shoot to surface when you mean to deflate" or "a shark might come by and bite the lever off". :idk: You still have dump valves and a quick release hose system if it ever kept inflating. As well as an oral inflator. No different than with a traditional quick inflate hose system in terms of possible emergency procedures.

Oh, and the tank attachment system is great! If you use the same size tank all the time, you can set it and forget it.

I ordered mine without trying it since no one around here had it. I was one of first in country to get it. But, my husband works at a dive shop so it would have been easy enough to send back. It is good to be able to try before you buy but depending where you are this is not always possible. I would see if anyone is willing to order one in for you so you can at least try it on. If it does not work and they decide to ship it back you may have to pay a small fee but at least you know!

Last edited:
I am relatively new to diving (about 25 ) And an starting to purchase my own equipment. I dived locally, as well Travel to warmer areas. I like the idea of the I3 system, But wonder if it's a good BCD for me & my needs. I have gone to many LDS hoping to demo it but have had no luck. So in a attempt to make an informed purchase, I would love to hear from any ladies or men who use this style and their opinions of it.
One thing that I've heard by talking to locals is that the lever has a tendency to get caught when Maneuvering through kelp and seaweed (lots of that in Southern California), Inflating unexpectedly during dives.

Hey Jtim321,

First of all, congrats on your new diving hobby.

As a lady, I've tried just about every ladies BCD out there trying to find the one I like the best. I personally like the fit of the Aqua Lung ladies BCD's. The fit is great, so it stays secure no matter what position I am in the water. As a side note... Aqua Lung's ladies line was designed by a team of women. They spent a lot of time developing the products and really paid attention to the details.

I've also had the pleasure of using the i3 system and I love it! Controlling your buoyancy is a snap, and I like that the inflator doesn't float around.

This is just my opinion, so I would suggest you give it a try for yourself. Aqua Lung has a 30-day satisfaction on all products if you purchase it from a participating authorized dealer...even if it is used. (I say "participating" because I don't think they can make EVERY dealer do it, so double check before you buy). This means if you buy it, use it and decide it's not for you, then take it back to the dealer and exchange it for another Aqua Lung product. I love worry free buying!

Hey Jtim321,

As a lady, I've tried just about every ladies BCD out there trying to find the one I like the best. I personally like the fit of the Aqua Lung ladies BCD's. The fit is great, so it stays secure no matter what position I am in the water. As a side note... Aqua Lung's ladies line was designed by a team of women.

Oh my,..........and I was almost certain it was designed by a team of ladies.

I've been diving with my i3 Pearl by AquaLung for 2 seasons now and I love it! I only tried the Lotus on in the store and just found the Pearl more comfortable & preferable... what it would've been like in the water I don't know.

New here but Ill chime in. My wife is not a big forum fan but she originally was sold on the I3 because of someone elses recommendations. She tried on a bunch of BC's and ended up in a zeagle lazer. Its the womens equivalent to the Stiletto. She didnt want the zena because she didnt want the vest style. She is petite and zeagle's custom fit design really allows for fine tuning. My advice to you is to try on every single bc you can get your hands on, twice if you can. And just pick the one that fits YOU the best. Your gear should not have you wondering. The more comfortable you are in your gear, regardless of sport, the more confident you will be. I am also in a Zeagle so that we have the same platform. I configured mine around here setup in case of an emergency we know how to fix each other. As for the weight release, we dont plan on dumping our weights, but if we do, restringing will be the last of our worries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom