Opening a Halcyon can (of worms) ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GramsciBeat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A while ago I bought a Halcyon Focus; the battery has died, but because of the way in which it happened it seems due to a lose connection on the inside - has anyone successfully opened up this canister and re-sealed it so it remains workable?

If so, any pointers on getting it done?

I would send it back to Halcyon - they have earned a good reputation for quality/service-related issues.

I see you are in S Africa so that is probably not as easy it as it would be for someone closer. Have you asked your dealer about it?

It's out of warranty, so delivery costs (both ways) would be mine to carry, plus repairs. It'll probably cost about the same to replace. Also, there is a lot of PT involved in getting Lithium batteries into a courier bag.
I want to try DIY before sending off for a new one.

Anyway - I never did get round to opening the battery, though I did find out it is possible to do so in a non-destructive way. The problem I had appears to have been that there are three metal prongs on top of the battery that connect with a metal ring on the inside of the light connector. We ascertained that only one of the prongs carries a charge, but the other two were marginally more prominent. Sometimes, if I got lucky, the 'charging' prong would connect to the ring and I would get light (or charge if on the charger), but most times not. One very fine file job later and it appears to be working fine ...

Nice.

Back
Top Bottom