Open Water Tests

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spookyfox

New
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Just completed my PADI confined water portion of certification. I am wanting to know ALL the skills I will be tested on in the Open Water dives. I will be doing them at Homestead Crater in Utah. Just to lessen my anxiety, I would like to know what is coming. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It will be the same skills you did in the pool. There will be a couple of others added to it, smb deployment and underwater navigation. They will be explained and demonstrated by your instructor or a divemaster. If you didn't have any trouble in the pool you will be fine. If you are feeling a little anxious, just let your instructor know and they will help you overcome it. Just relax and have fun, you will love it.

Pretty much what @soonerwink said. Same skills. If you were good in the pool, you will be good in the lake.

Can't be exact, but other than the two added (above post), there were a few less than in the pool last time I assisted in 2015. What I recall you DON'T do in the ocean is:
--Unit on & off on bottom (or neutral...)--yes on the surface.
--No mask swim.
--Deep water entry (unless obviously from a boat).
--Instructor turning off air.
--Weight belt removal on bottom --yes on surface.

Added as well: Dropping of weights (in shallow water).
4th dive is now "Mini Dive" where student buddies do it all themselves, planning it all, etc. with DM or instr. following behind for safety. I found this an excellent addition to the course.

I probably missed something and something may have changed. But the point is just accomplish all in the pool and then mostly same stuff in OW--Of course some things may be a little harder depending on waves, etc.--such as removing belt or unit on the surface. And visibility may be worse than in the pool depending on the day, or if the bottom is stirred up--which has been known to happen.....Good Luck.

It will NOT be all the skills you did in the pool. Open your logbook. All of the skills you will be required to do on those dives are listed. Some are specific to the specific dive, and some can be moved from dive to dive at instructor discretion. Every skill, though, is listed in your log book.

Is every student given a log book that has this info. now? I think I just got a blank one back then.

Sounds like your already anxietied out.....relax, it's easy peasy. Take it moment by moment and don't think too far ahead of yourself. Mask removal and clearing is probably the most common freak out, but you should be over this since play time in the pool is over.

Watch some YouTube vids to run these drills through your head.

You'll be fine.

Is every student given a log book that has this info. now? I think I just got a blank one back then.
Good question.
Logging the training dives is a requirement, but nothing says it has to be a PADI logbook.
Some of the materials (PADI Crew Pak) includes a log, which would include the training dives.
If e-learning is used, then the LDS would sell a log separately.

If I recall, the training dives are also listed in the text or e-learning materials

In the current logbook issued with the course, every item is not only listed, there is a checklist for a student to check them off when they are done.

In the logbook I was issued when I was OW certified nearly 20 years ago, the required skills were listed at the top of the page for each of the training dives. Those skills have been in every logbook between then and now.

In the current logbook issued with the course, every item is not only listed, there is a checklist for a student to check them off when they are done.

In the logbook I was issued when I was OW certified nearly 20 years ago, the required skills were listed at the top of the page for each of the training dives. Those skills have been in every logbook between then and now.
Interesting. I looked at my original log book given by the shop and only my logged pages are in there with no skills list (2005).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom