Open Water; Monterey Style

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JustAddWater

Reaction score
Did any of you read/hear a report about a group of divers being separated from their dive boat in Monterey? The details were quite sketchy in the report I read this morning, but it's my understanding that a sudden change in weather and sea conditions is the cause. Most of the group was rescued shortly after the separation, but the coast guard rescued one diver hours later and six miles from the dive site. I hope the diver was wearing a dry suit.

JustAddWater:
Did any of you read/hear a report about a group of divers being separated from their dive boat in Monterey? The details were quite sketchy in the report I read this morning, but it's my understanding that a sudden change in weather and sea conditions is the cause. Most of the group was rescued shortly after the separation, but the coast guard rescued one diver hours later and six miles from the dive site. I hope the diver was wearing a dry suit.

Here's more info: http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/merc...s/california/northern_california/11252009.htm

Not sure if this permitted, but since I hate finding dead links when browsing the archives, here's the article:

Posted on Mon, Mar. 28, 2005

Scuba diver rescued after hours in cold water

Associated Press

MONTEREY, Calif. - The U.S. Coast Guard rescued a scuba diver who drifted six miles from her diving party and spent more than five hours in the frigid waters of Monterey Bay.

Jennifer Thomas, 32, of San Jose, was suffering from mild hypothermia when she was rescued at roughly 7:30 p.m. Sunday two miles south of Moss Landing, the U.S. Coast Guard said in a statement. Rescuers fought driving rain, wind and rough swells.

Thomas, who went out earlier in the day with four other divers, was taken to Community Hospital of Monterey Peninsula, Coast Guard officials said. On Monday, a hospital spokeswoman said Thomas had been released.

Thomas and four others were scuba diving off Lovers Point at about 2 p.m. Sunday when the weather turned rough and the group began to drift, Coast Guard officials said.

A witness on shore spotted four divers stranded about a half mile off the point at 4 p.m. The witness called a nearby kayak shop and was told to call 911.

Frank Knight and Brian Glaseur, who operate the Adventures by the Sea kayak shop, already were looking for a kayaker who rented a boat that afternoon when they spotted divers through their binoculars.

They pulled two divers into their motor boat and another two shortly after.

"We couldn't believe there was someone out there floating in the water," Knight said. "They were in pure panic mode. They were yelling and screaming, but they were so happy to see us. I was just at the right place at the right time."

The four divers were transferred to the Coast Guard in good condition.

Hours later, a Coast Guard crew found Thomas flashing a handheld beacon and plucked her out of the water.

The divers told rescuers they thought they had gone down at least 60 feet. But the sea was murky and the water deeper than they anticipated, so they came back up.

When they surfaced, their dive boat and its pilot had apparently drifted away in the high winds. None of the divers could be reached for comment on Monday.

The kayaker who got caught in the choppy seas later paddled ashore.

:06: Why didn't the dive op call for help? Did the boat captain just go back without all of his divers and call it a day?
It's a pretty sad day in diving when a bystander (thank God that she was ocean gazing) on the shore has to call 911 to rescue you after you've been seperated from your dive boat instead of the dive op that you paid to take you out... :banghead: :1poke:

Hours later, a Coast Guard crew found Thomas flashing a handheld beacon and plucked her out of the water.
From The Above Link:
After a while I could see two safety sausages closer to shore so I new that four of the five of use was accounted for.
Something to think about...

ScubaDoobaDo:
:06: Why didn't the dive op call for help? Did the boat captain just go back without all of his divers and call it a day?
It's a pretty sad day in diving when a bystander (thank God that she was ocean gazing) on the shore has to call 911 to rescue you after you've been seperated from your dive boat instead of the dive op that you paid to take you out... :banghead: :1poke:

It was a private boat.

Go read the first hand account I posted a link to. That will explain what happened.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ba_diving/message/24488

I was finally able to open the link of the owner's account... Still, I just can't get past the coast guard being alerted by someone on the beach (I know the report says the guy on the boat called, but when?)... uurrrrggggg! It's scary! Good thing I just got that safety sausage and my handheld beacon...cuz you never know when you could be in this situation....
I'm just glad that they were all found alive and well. And by sharing the story and his account people will take that "person left on the boat" job a little more seriously (even picking them...).

Another newspaper article on the incident:
...By this time, Thomas had shed about 15 pounds of lead weight she wore to help her descend. She was fortunate that she was wearing a dry suit, which was insulated with a special gas that kept her warmer for a longer time than a wet suit would.

''That probably saved her life,'' U.S. Coast Guard Officer Maegan Schwartz said.​

liberato:
Another newpaper article on the incident:
...By this time, Thomas had shed about 15 pounds of lead weight she wore to help her descend. She was fortunate that she was wearing a dry suit, which was insulated with a special gas that kept her warmer for a longer time than a wet suit would.

''That probably saved her life,'' U.S. Coast Guard Officer Maegan Schwartz said.​
Saved by the argon. :thumb:

So obviously, proper anchoring was out of the question and this site has never before had bad weather move in?

I wonder whatever happened to the Kayaker.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom