Open Water in Thailand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jimmybegood

Reaction score
Hello all

My wife and I are travelling out to Thailand next week and we have just added learning to dive to our list of things to do on our trip.

It'll be our first time in Thailand. We may go to Koh Tao and spend some time there.

If anybody knows of good diving schools that offer the PADI Open Water in Koh Tao or accommodation and trip tips around there, please let us know.

Jim

Hi Jim,

I've been living in Koh Tao for nearly three months and have experience diving with different operators.

By far, I would recommend Aquademia Dive. They're located in town up the road from the Safety Stop Pub (telephone 0774 56395). They have smaller classes and an easygoing yet professional approach to learning. They also arrange accommodation if you require.

Advice - bring plenty of sunblock and if you ride a motorbike, take care.

Have fun and good luck

L

Jimmybegood:
Hello all

My wife and I are travelling out to Thailand next week and we have just added learning to dive to our list of things to do on our trip.

It'll be our first time in Thailand. We may go to Koh Tao and spend some time there.

If anybody knows of good diving schools that offer the PADI Open Water in Koh Tao or accommodation and trip tips around there, please let us know.

Jim

Good call on learning to dive. It can be one of the coolest experiences you can have in life. I don't know anything about the shop Louie suggested but I agree with the idea of smaller shops. I did some diving with Ban's and it was chaotic due to the number of divers on board the boats. Find a nice easy going shop with a comfortable boat. You don't want to be rushed and therefore stressed in you OW course.

Do your open water on Koh TAo and then head over to Phuket or Phi Phi for some fun dives to really get awed. Good luck and have fun.

Happy to recommend Asia Divers as I have done in the past. I would personally not recommend getting a motor bike on KT, Ive seen far to many accidents there for my liking, walking is safe and easy for most distances, farther than that it's cheap and easy to get a taxi to take you.. far safer than a motor bike.

Going back to the dive shops Id agree with other posters who are steering you toward smaller dive shops, the larger operations are like cattle trucks and tend to swamp dive sites.

The general manager (and padi course director) of Asia Divers is Guy Corsellis, if you want details give him an email to asiadive@samart.co.th

be warned, when you get on the ferry to KT, expect to be pestered non-stop by the touts from the different companies, do your research before you get there and give the touts a wide berth.

message me if you need any details of other shops, accomodation or dive sites.

Greg Jenkins

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom