Open water dive this weekend...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Close call, good lesson and you knew what to do, you made it to the top and did an oral inflate, good move. Had the thought of ditching weight occured to you? If plan A failed that would have been your salvation.

Happened pretty quickly. I don't think ditching weights ever entered my mind. Hopefull there is no next time but I am hoping to work some on emergency drills in the pool. You know, establish muscle memory stuff.

Adobo, I totally agree with you about the rigorousness with which OW should be, and isn't, taught -- both at the skills and the intellectual level. Further, I've gone through AOW and a couple of specialties without anybody really addressing the deficiencies I know I have, and on which I have been working with people other than my instructors. It's a shame that the increased expense and duration of a truly adequate class isn't felt to be something that would appeal to enough people to get anybody to offer such a class. From your other comments about equipment configuration, I suspect I know where you're going to end up to get the instruction you want, because it's where I'm ending up, too.

Your comment: "Somehow, husbands tend to be less afflicted" is not true in my experience, though . . . :)

TSandM:
Adobo, I totally agree with you about the rigorousness with which OW should be, and isn't, taught -- both at the skills and the intellectual level. Further, I've gone through AOW and a couple of specialties without anybody really addressing the deficiencies I know I have, and on which I have been working with people other than my instructors. It's a shame that the increased expense and duration of a truly adequate class isn't felt to be something that would appeal to enough people to get anybody to offer such a class. From your other comments about equipment configuration, I suspect I know where you're going to end up to get the instruction you want, because it's where I'm ending up, too.

Your comment: "Somehow, husbands tend to be less afflicted" is not true in my experience, though . . . :)

Yeah, I am most likely to become one of the "kool aid drinkers". I haven't yet found anyone who would argue that DIR is ineffective or somehow breeds a less capable diver. If going in that direction means that I get called one of the "mindless sheep", then so be it. I am not too proud to learn from what others have already figured out.

Back
Top Bottom