Open Water Certification in Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caseylary

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I am going to Bali in 2 weeks for 10 days. I am looking into getting my Open Water Certification. I have only been scuba diving a few times but love it and want to do it more and more! I have a few questions:

There are tons of companies and there are tons of recommendations posted on this thread. Thus far I have heard about waterworx, gekodiving, and bali scuba. Any other recommendations?

I am on a bit of a tight schedule and was told some places offer 3 day courses instead of 4. Any reason why I should do the 4 day course over 3? Besides Bali scuba, do you know of any other places that offer 3 day courses?

I have found dive shops in Sanur and Padang Bai. Which area has better diving? Is there much to do in Padang Bai outside of diving, like things to do at night? I read that sanur is not the best place to dive. What would you recommend?

How far is Padang Bai from Ubud?

Thanks in advance for the help!

My daughter got her Jr. OW (the sylabus is exacly the same except she's 11 years old) in Tulamben Bali 2 weeks ago. We stayed at Mimpi Tulamben - the instructur is Japanese lady. Other DS is Tulamben also offer OW course.
It is possible to compress to 3 days if you stay there.

What I will suggest to you is take your class and pool portion at home (your city) and then complete your openwater in Bali. With this you will be able to dive 3 days instead of only 2 days. You will get total of 6-8 dives for your 3 days vacation :wink:

Personally, I would recommend to take safari dive with Bali Scuba, so you will enjoy your dive vacation more rather than just stay in one place.

Have fun!

Padang Bai is maybe 1 hour 15 minutes from Ubud. Some information about Padang Bai

David of Waterworx is a first class instructor.

There is more to do around Padang Bai than Tulamben when you are done diving. There is also a good sand beach within walking distance and there are no beaches in Tulambel. Only stones.

Tulamben is more arid and many divers come there on days trips and stay elsewhere.

From Padang Bai you can make day trips to Ubud, Candidassa, and trips into the interior very cheaply.

There is a wide range of http://www.dutchpickle.com/bali/padang-bai/places-to-stay.html in Padang Bai from backpackers budget to the Puri Rai. The exchange rate is around 9000 rupiah to the dollar and best to change money in Kuta before heading out.
Have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom