Open Revolution Thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WartedEmperor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What are your all's thoughts about the new ccr called the Open Revolution that has a selling price of $995?

Soon as mine arrives I'll be glad to post on it :wink: ... should be late February, early March for the first units to be shipped (I'm order #117)

btw - while the base mCCR unit is $995, that is with no electronics, so you'd need to add your own PPO2 monitoring. You can buy the electronics package for an additional $1750 - it includes PO2, CO2 and auto bailout features, HUD (called something else however) and voice announced data, as well as RF integration with an optional wrist mount gauge (another $650, and not to be released till March)

The unit is designed for an 80meter (260ft) depth limit based on the CO2 monitoring unit. The EAC (used instead of loose scrubber material) is rated at 2.5 hrs, which from what I've learned researching it is about the same time limit for most loose style scrubber cannisters out there when tested under similar conditions - based on a fairly high work load, but a very safe limit.

That's the basics that I've picked up from it - fully equipped, with electronics and handset when it comes out still puts the unit at a very nicely priced complete unit at around $3500 after shipping and taxes.

Hope that helps - and if you want LOTS more information you can check out RBW Open Revolution Rebreather - Rebreather World - nearly 2000 posts discussing it there :) also some information on the retail website here Open Safety Equipment

I for one am definitely looking forward to seeing how this all plays out :)

Aloha, Tim

I'm watching as well. So far, I have not been impressed w/ the quality reports from DEMA, I REALLY do not like the auto-bailout feature, and the lack of handset controls on the electronics. Also not crazy about the EACs, I would prefer to have the option to pack the scrubber myself. If it comes to production in the manner that it is suppose to, I think it could be a game-changer. If nothing else, it may drive the competition to lower prices and/or offer some additional features to stay competitive. My money is still on the rEvo, but I'm waiting for this thing to come out before I pull the the trigger on anything.

I guess I see the CO2 monitor and the auto bailout in similar lights, neither should ever be used, but if they are ever needed it sure will be nice to them (in other words, you should pay close enough attention, but if you don't it's one more "parachute" to prevent a catastrophe) - of course you can always manually override the auto bailout, onto what is the question. Sort of like gas management and paying attention to your spg on open circuit ... fail to pay attention and you are inviting trouble ...

EAC's ... ugg as far as price goes - almost double traditional scrubber media :S I'm guessing there will be a scrubber option out quite soon. Other than price, for diving at home I really like the idea - simple, reliable and long lasting.

Handset option - hopefully being released one month after the unit starts shipping ... we'll see, but at least it's supposed to be on the near horizon... I figure it will give me enough time to really get used to reading both the other "displays" (HUD and Voice) before going back to a handset.

Wireless - I am not totally comfortable with RF instead of wires, but I'm willing to give it a chance based upon what I've read about the way they are implementing it, and the reliability record they have using RF in their commercial units... I've just always been leery of wireless underwater devices.

Much of this is a wait and see, and hope they pull it off as well as planned. I feel kind of like I did when I got my first Athlon based PC - AMD had everything riding on it's performance ... they pulled it off ... course Intel caught up a month later :wink:

I've had pretty good success when it comes to new technology in the past, so I'm not worried in this instance, just very eager to see how close they come to or exceed their plans.

Aloha, Tim

You should start a blog or something and keep us up to date once you get it. I would love to hear how this works out and how the "new" technology takes to the water.

Good luck with the new breather!

I'll definitely be posting the experience here on Scubaboard and over on Divematrix - course I've already been told I have to turn in my DIR membership card when it arrives :wink:

Aloha, Tim

I'm guessing there will be a scrubber option out quite soon.
Don't bet on it.

Changing from EAC to a granular scrubber is not a simple as making a cannister and popping it in place. The entire loop and gas flow characteristics are engineered around the EAC. To change it to granular involves changing the whole loop design, AND changing the work of breathing. This is why there is no granular adapter available for the Optima.

While I think WOB ratings are total BS, the Apocalypse brags about it's low WOB, and switching to granular to keep the same 1.38 j/lt rating is not realistic or cost effective.

My money is still on the rEvo
Smart bet :wink:

After seeing this unit, I wasn't terribly impressed with it. It seemed very flimsy, although I was told the case I saw was a demo only, and the actual production one will be more robust.

Still the design seems odd to me. Very large case holds only the scrubber and the lungs. The Dil is mounted on the side, and the O2 on the bottom. Seems to be an unnecessarily large rig for what it is.

CO2 monitor? A good idea, but we'll see how it works. I think by the time the alarm goes off, you'd better be off the loop already. I've taken a CO2 hit - trust me, it's not fun.

The unit may be cheap, but so were Yugo's. You didn't see too many proud owners of those. I'll stick with the Toyota.

Back
Top Bottom