open muzzle spearguns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ifukuda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What is the difference between a speargun with an open muzzle, and one that is not. Advantages? Disadvantages?

On an open muzzle speargun the shaft is secured at the tip end by a wrap of the line attatched to the spear.This precludes free shafting and rapid re-loading for multiple fish.It has no real advantages only advertised ones.The Riffe spearguns are well made and kill a lot of nice fish.A closed muzzle made as well has the same capabilities as well as the ability to be used several times in a dive.Try www.spearboard.com for some good info.

Which would you recommend for a beginner?

Walter ,if you're talking about the closed track for a Riffe take a look at one.The track is very tight around the shaft,a bent shaft,even a little can cause a jam.They are made for freediving for 1 or 2 big fish a day.For the 99% average spearfisher a closed muzzle is much better.Especially for beginners.Most of my friends with a Riffe admit they bought one because of the hype and inexperience.They often languish over a mantle while the $100 JBL gets wet every weekend.

Not what I'm thinking of at all. The adaptation of which I've heard is DIY and uses a short line to hold in the shaft.

I've used a Biller for about 15 years and have used a Riffe for almost 2 years now. Both are excellent. The Riffe is superior, but it does take getting used to after using a Biller for so long. My aim is better with the Biller because the shaft drops less with the Riffe and I'm not quite adjusted yet. The trigger is quieter and doesn't frighten fish like the Biller. I've lost fish because they've heard the Biller trigger and darted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom