open invite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharky60

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
For all those not getting wet this weekend or the the weekend of the 30th, I'm doing my volunteer diving at the Dallas Aquarium at Fair Park on Saturdays the 16th and 30th.
Bring the kiddos and come see the dive shows at 1:30p & 3:00p, puranha feeding at 2:30p and touch tank open through out the day.
http://www.dallaszoo.com/aq/aq.asp?page=aq

Love to meet some of you Swampers! Still trying to get some extra time to go to CSSP and dive with some of you.
Thankx
Marc

Marc thanks for the invite and would like to view your pres. at the zoo....but am already oblg. those days---rain check!!

My husband used to do that a few years ago. He once took a camera and took some pictures from the inside out. It was great to see all those kids! He also had a erasable slate for questions and answers. The aquarium really needs help during the State Fair days in the fall.

Debraw:
My husband used to do that a few years ago. He once took a camera and took some pictures from the inside out. It was great to see all those kids! He also had a erasable slate for questions and answers. The aquarium really needs help during the State Fair days in the fall.

We now have a full faced mask with a microphone in it and a person on the outside with a mic so we can talk directly to the visitors. I took my camera into the exhibit last month, the kids seemed to get quite a kick out of it.

Even though we are part of the Dallas Zoo system, being over at Fair Park and not on the Zoo property we are kind of looked at like the red headed step child, we don't get the advertising, money or attention the zoo gets, so I try to do what I can to promote us as much as possible. belive it or not, there are many people from Dallas that don't even know we have an aquarium other than the Dallas World Aquarium in the West End, and the aqarium is really only a small part of that place. They also want around $20 to get into that place, where you can come see us for $3!!

We definatly need help during the State Fair!!! because all the divers are volunteers, we can't all take as much time off from work as we would like to have a show everyday of the Fair.

A couple of years ago, we had many more divers and a full educational staff at the aquarium, we were able to do 2+ dive shows a day during the Fair. I don't know what our schedule will be like this year, at this point we have a group of about 5 of us that is keeping the program going.

The State Fair is one of my favorite things, I can't wait for it to start every year, and now for the past 2 years, I've actually go to be a part of it! quite a thrill!!!

As soon as I know the State Fair Schedule I'll make a post until then, I'm working on the 30th of this month and August 20th, the open invitation still stands!!

Update!!!!! I had a schedule change I'm working the 13th of Aug. rather than the 20th.

Sharky,

I'd be interested in volunteering. The past couple of times I have tried to call down there though, they seem disinterested in even adding volunteers.

Maybe I'm not talking to the right people?

Aggie Diver:
Sharky,

I'd be interested in volunteering. The past couple of times I have tried to call down there though, they seem disinterested in even adding volunteers.

Maybe I'm not talking to the right people?

The problem is that we haven't had an educational staff for the aquarium for the past year and a half and they are the people that ran the volunteer training program. we've had someone from the zoo coming over and helping us out in the meantime.

they just recently hired a person for the aquarium and she is just now coming up to speed with things. they do want to put together a new volunteer training program, but Nicole needs to have a little more time to get the educational program back up to speed before that can happen, but she did say to me a couple of weeks ago that she wants to get a training session set up soon. remember this is a city owned thing and the wheels of progress run VERY slow, so be patient, if you still want to do it we definately can use you and if we can get a list of enough folks interested maybe they will put together a training class sooner.

please PM me and send me your name and phone number and I'll pass them off to Nicole this weekend when I see her. I'll PM you back and tell you some more about what all is involved in becomming a volunteer and a diver with us.

thankx
marc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom