OOA in Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IslandFrog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
It has been about a year since this incident occurred, but I thought that I would post it in hopes that it can help others to avoid a similar situation.

Last year, I was invited to join my best friend and his family on a trip to Hawaii to scatter the ashes of his father, who died of cancer earlier in the year. We had also planned to go diving on a couple of days in memory his father who was also a diver. On the trip was also another long time friend of the family, who had taken diving lessons in preparation for the trip. She was only able to complete her course work, pool sessions, and the first two of her certification dives prior to leaving for the trip, due to her work schedule. On the first day of our diving, she completed the last two of her certification dives with the local dive shop as a referral.

On our second day of diving, we had on the boat my best friends brother, his 17 year old son, our new diver and myself. The new diver and I had buddied up. Our DM was the instructor who had completed the training of our novice diver, and on the boat with us was another DM who was not affiliated with the shop and the boat captain, but was a local with knowledge of the local diving.

My buddy was using rental dive gear from the local shop, while I was using my personal gear. I made sure to familiarize her with my setup since I use a 5 long hose and bungied 2nd, and made sure that she understood that in an emergency, I would donate the regulator from my mouth and that I would then use the bungied 2nd.

On the second dive of the day, we were at a site called Suck-em-Up, which is about 20-30ft deep, has a couple of swim throughs which lead to one last swim through where the surge can pull you through the lava tube and out the other side.

The DM led the way into the swim throughs, and the rest of us followed. The swim through was just tight enough that we were single file going through, and I was bringing up the rear of the group with my buddy directly in front of me. Just before entering the final swim through, my buddy suddenly pulled up and started heading towards the surface which was open right above us. She stopped about half way up and turned to look towards me. At this point we were about 10 minutes into the dive, and I thought that she, being new to diving, had gotten spooked but had started to get herself back under control, and I was heading towards her. As I got closer to her, she reached out and pulled the regulator from my mouth. I immediately switched to my bungied 2nd, while thinking that she must still be spooked. Once I got my 2nd in place, I checked on my buddy, who was now breathing on my primary, and got her to give me the ÅÐk signal indicating that she was breathing ok, although she had now grasped my arm and was holding on very tightly.

I was unable to check her spg at this time, as she was holding on so tight and was obviously stressed. I still thought that maybe she had panicked and had perhaps over breathed the rental regulator, so I led us back down and back out the way that we had come into the swim throughs. as we exited, I looked up and decided that with the surge and the volcanic rocks around us, going to the surface there was not a good idea, so started heading back towards the boat. As we approached the anchor line, the DM, coming from around the other side of the swim throughs caught up with us, and signaled to us with the ok sign as a query. I signaled back with the ok sign to let him know that I had us under control. We then surfaced, and the DM joined us while the visiting DM took my friendÃÔ brother and son on the rest of their dive.

At the surface, we learned that my buddies tank was totally empty of air. The DM performed an in water switch of her tank with a full one, and the three of us went back down and completed the dive (although we did not go back into the swim throughs).

Now for some analysis.

As near as I can figure, while we were in between our two dives that day, the captain of our boat took the time to switch our tanks out for us, and either did not change my buddies tank, or switched it to one that was not full.

Upon gearing up for our second dive, and after entering the water, my buddy did not check her spg to verify the amount of air she had. I also failed to check her spg both before we got in the water and immediately afterwards. I really blame myself for this one.

While in the swim throughs, when my buddy ran out of air and stopped her ascent and turned to look at me, she told me afterwards that she had given me the low on air signal, which I totally missed. She was actually out of air, and gave me the wrong signal, but I missed it altogether as I was assuming that she had panicked.

Another area that I messed up on was when the DM was approaching us underwater asking if we were ok, I only signaled back with the ok sign. In my mind, I was thinking that we were ok, using my air supply, and heading for the surface. I think I should have replied both with the ok sign, then pointed to my buddy and given the something is wrong sign. (remember that at this point I did not know that she was actually out of air). I am still not sure if this would have been the best way either as giving both of these signs could be confusing, so I am really interested in getting feed back from working DMÃÔ and Instructors on this point.

Sorry that this has turned into such a long post. I have tried to give all the pertinent information without giving any names of those involved, and especially to not name the dive op. I honestly believe that the dive op is a very good one, and very safe to dive with. Our experience involved a number of errors most of which were our own fault. In the spirit of the old Dragnet TV show ÅÕhe names have been omitted to protect the innocent? (i.e. everyone but me)

Brad,
What I glean from this is that true, you made some mistakes but you learned from this. More important is I believe this novice diver is going to be one fine diver in the future. Look at all the things she did right:
1. Ran out of air in an overhead environment, where you probably shouldn't have been with a novice in a single file formation IMO, found a hole in the ceiling and proceded up to an area you both could work together.
2. Did not panic and Polaris to the surface.
3. Gave you the low on air signal.
4. Calmed down and went back into the overhead environment.
5. Got a new tank and went back diving.
Bravo for her!

Thank you for your post. Thanks also for writing your post in a clear, understandable manner. Wow. You handled things well.

Good for both you for keeping your heads! This has been a year...has she been an active diver since then?

All, thanks for the replies.

Doubler, the swim throughs were not an overhead environment, rather a series of arches formed by lava tubes whose ceilings had collapsed over the years. Although I still agree that while the rest of the dive site was ok, the swim throughs may have been a bit of a challenge for her. We were properly briefed and she felt ok going into the situation though, and was fine up until she ran out of air.

sskasser, as far as I know, she has not been diving since, although I could be wrong on that. I do know that earlier this year she was diagnosed with a non-malignant brain tumor which was removed, so she is not actively diving right now, nor for the forseeable future. She is recovering from this operation and doing quite well.

I wouldn't beat yourself up too much for not checking everything 100%. I think it's easy to overlook the guage check as a buddy as it's one of those things you assume the person would check 100% of the time. It's a good lesson though and as they say BARWF.

A good lesson for all of us, never assume anything. Do a complete buddy check.
You handled (and posted it) well.

Thanks for one of the best "incident reports" I have seen here. You have obviously done a good job of working out what you could have done better and given us a chance to learn from it.

I never personally check my buddy's air but always ask so I can compare it to mine. This helps me judge how long the dive is likely to be. I find it valuable to have an idea when I look at my guage through the dive how much air my buddy is likely to have. I rarely check my normal buddy's air during Vanilla dives since we have very similar SAC's. I check during the dive if I am diving with someone other than the very experienced divers in our regular group. In more challenging or new conditions more frequent checks are obviously needed. We make it a habit to check when we "hit the bottom" and "hit 100 Bar".

Overall I think you did a very good (but not perfect) job for your buddy and for us in sharing it.

Your buddy dive very well for a new diver and I hope recovers and gets to dive again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom